The firm's diversity efforts are overseen by a firmwide Diversity Committee consisting of partners, associates and administrative staff; men and women; racially diverse attorneys; and part-time attorneys. The Diversity Committee assists in developing and implementing policies and initiatives that promote a diverse workforce at all levels of the firm. The Diversity Committee is chaired by Vernessa Pollard, a partner in our Washington, DC office. The following are some of the things we do to promote diversity in our organization:
- Within one year of joining Arnold & Porter LLP, all of our new colleagues attend a mandatory diversity training program. The training program has increased sensitivity to and awareness of diversity issues at all levels of the firm, is an important part of the culture of our firm, and fosters a work environment that is hospitable to everyone, from all backgrounds.
- Several years ago, we began a firmwide program for diversity awareness. We hold special events to celebrate specific aspects of diversity and align those programs with Black History/Caribbean Month, National Women's History Month, Asian Pacific Heritage Month, LGBT Pride Month, Hispanic/Latino Heritage Month and Native American Month. The firm has a diversity calendar on its intranet to communicate historical information, legal milestones, and local events and activities occurring during each of these months.
- Each year, "Minorities at Arnold and Porter" ("MAP"), the affinity group for minority attorneys, holds a Minority Attorney Summit. The goal of the Summit is to discuss ways in which law firms and corporations can work together to promote diversity and the success of attorneys of color in the profession. The Summit is attended by attorneys of color from Arnold & Porter, clients of Arnold & Porter who are attorneys of color or are attorneys who serve on a corporate law department's diversity committee, attorneys of color who are alumni of Arnold & Porter, and incoming minority summer associates. Firm management and select partners in the firm also attend the Summit. In addition to the programming focused on advancing minorities in the legal profession to which in-house counsel and alumni are invited, we have a half-day program reserved solely for our minority attorneys to discuss and offer feedback on the firm's diversity efforts. During this time, we discuss ideas to better improve the opportunities at the firm for diverse attorneys. We also host a Q & A session with the chair of the firm and the Managing Partner on issues important to our minority attorneys.
- MAP also holds an annual forum for junior MAP associates. During this half-day forum, minority senior associates and partners provide candid advice on many topics, including work assignments, partner/counsel relations, career development, and work-life balance.
- WomenConnect is a business development effort in our Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Washington offices. In an informal setting, we bring together women attorneys and women clients for an evening of networking. The goals of this program are two-fold. One is to create more personal connections between all women attorneys at the firm, and the second is to introduce our women clients to other women at the firm.
Arnold & Porter is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis ofrace, color, creed,religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, citizenship status, genetic information,protected veteran’s status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. Our Firm'spolicy applies to all terms and conditions of employment. To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Arnold & Porter maintains anaffirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities,females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicantunder the law, please click here. Arnold & Porter LLP is an EO Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability