Elissa Preheim's practice focuses on securities, complex commercial and environmental litigation, with an emphasis on securities enforcement, class actions, and professional liability.
Ms. Preheim has successfully defended securities and shareholder derivative litigation, accounting and auditor liability matters, insurance class actions, internal investigations, and insider trading investigations. She has also litigated toxic tort, intellectual property, civil rights, and other commercial disputes. Ms. Preheim's experience includes representing public and private companies, accounting firms, insurance companies, financial institutions, broker-dealers, attorneys, accountants, and corporate directors and officers.
As a result of her engagements, Ms. Preheim has appeared at the trial and appellate levels of both federal and state courts, and she has defended clients in investigations and enforcement matters conducted by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), United States Department of Justice (DOJ), Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB), Office of the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (SIGTARP), Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and other government agencies.
- Big Four accounting firm audit partner as trial counsel in a contested PCAOB disciplinary proceeding.
- In re Chiquita Brands International, Inc., Alien Tort Statute and Shareholders Derivative Litig. (S.D. Fla.). Represented officer defendants in shareholder derivative litigation related to Chiquita's payments to extra-governmental parties in Colombia.
- In re Qwest Communications International Inc. Securities Litigation (D. Colo.). Represented outside accounting firm and individual auditors in securities fraud class actions, as well as parallel proceedings in California, Illinois, and New Jersey state courts, related government investigations, and third-party litigation.
- Richardson v. Ulsh, 2007 WL 2713050 (D.N.J.). Won motion to dismiss with prejudice shareholder derivative suit against current and former officers and directors of Exide Technologies.
Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report,
Securities Law360 New York
- JD, Indiana University, 1996, summa cum laude
- BA, Northwestern University, 1993, Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- Numerous Federal Courts
Hearing Committee Chair, Board on Professional Responsibility, District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Board of Visitors, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
Board of Directors, Council for Court Excellence (2005-2015)
Board of Directors, Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights & Urban Affairs (2006-2012)
Co-Chair, Arnold & Porter LLP Hiring Committee (2006-2012)
Former Adjunct Professor, Michigan State University College of Law
Board of Directors, Dog & Pony DC Theater Company
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit, The Honorable Bruce M. Selya