Since 1987, the New York office of Arnold & Porter LLP has vigorously grown to keep up with the changing demands of businesses and individuals in a variety of geographic markets. With more than 100 attorneys in one of the most distinguished legal and financial centers in the world, we provide a wide range of services including Litigation, Corporate and Securities, Product Liability and Mass Tort Litigation, Intellectual Property, Real Estate and Environmental. Please click to see our 2013 Chambers USA and 2013 Legal 500 rankings.
We have significant strength in complex litigation, investigations work, and financial services transactions. New York-based attorneys have been actively involved in some of the highest profile legal matters of the day, including the Madoff litigation, the AIG Credit Facility Trust matter, and apartheid reparations. Attorneys in the New York office worked on several of the most notable transactions of 2011 involving financial services companies, including representation of State Bancorp in its acquisition by Valley Bancorp and representation of Aurora Bank, FSB in its sale by the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy estate. Attorneys from the firm's financial services team advised Banco do Brasil on the corporate, regulatory, and tax aspects of its acquisition of Florida-based EuroBank. Arnold & Porter is an Am Law 100 firm focusing on the intersection of business, law, and public policy. Our New York office is one of the largest in the firm's network of nine offices in North America and Europe. The firm has been deeply committed to pro bono since our founding in 1946 and has one of the world's leading law firm pro bono programs. This commitment defines us and is an important part of why many of our attorneys choose Arnold & Porter as their professional home.
Click here to download our New York Office Fact Sheet.
Other highlights of our New York practice include:
- Bankruptcy and Corporate Restructuring. We represent debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, shareholders, official committees, and investors in troubled businesses, and frequently advise banks and other institutional lenders.
- Corporate and Securities. We advise US and international companies and private equity funds in complex domestic and cross-border merger, acquisition, and divestiture transactions, including public company mergers, strategic acquisitions and divestitures of private companies, leveraged buyout transactions, and joint ventures. We have also worked on a variety of domestic and cross border offerings of equity, debt and hybrid instruments, including initial public offerings registered with the SEC and a full variety of private placement transactions.
- Environmental. We represent corporations, developers, lending institutions, utilities, and public agencies in environmental litigation and complex regulatory and transactional issues. We handle civil and criminal enforcement, Superfund and other contaminated site litigation, and proceedings and toxic tort claims on groundwater, air pollution, toxic chemical, radioactivity, and public nuisance matters.
- Government Investigations. We represent companies and executives in national and international criminal matters and related civil cases and investigations on a wide range of matters including fraud and abuse, public corruption, FCPA, Bribery Act, and other global anti-corruption related matters. We have conducted investigations in over 85 countries and built a strong reputation in dealings with the US DOJ, SEC, UK SFO, and international government authorities.
- Financial Services. We provide global financial institutions, foreign and domestic banks and insurance companies with comprehensive regulatory, litigation, legislative, and transactional services. Our team handles complex regulatory and transactional issues, represents clients in legislative matters (including congressional hearings and investigations), and litigates cases involving the financial services industry at the administrative level and in state and federal courts.
- Healthcare Providers. We represent physicians, hospital systems, other healthcare providers and healthcare-related ventures. We understand the challenges and issues facing those in the healthcare industry and we have the experience to help our clients pursue their legal and business objectives.
- Intellectual Property. We have extensive experience litigating cutting-edge intellectual property cases and other technology-related disputes. We have worked on precedent-setting cases expanding the protection for trade dress and design marks and have developed particular experience in the area of brand protection and enforcement and anti-counterfeiting matters.
- Investment Management. We have substantial experience forming funds, establishing managed account relationships and structuring other investment products, and advise clients on the panoply of regulatory issues affecting their businesses.
- Latin America. We take an active role in matters relating to Latin America. We advise government and private clients from the region as well as international clients investing in the US and elsewhere in the world.
- Litigation. We represent clients in the areas of securities fraud, white collar crime, product liability, accountant liability, antitrust and trade regulation, and patents and trademarks, as well as general commercial litigation. We are involved in class action and derivative litigation, multidistrict litigation, national and international arbitration, and other ADR procedures. Our attorneys often serve as national coordinating counsel in multijurisdictional cases. We also represent clients in local, state, and federal criminal investigations, SEC enforcement proceedings, and collateral civil litigation.
- Product Liability Litigation. We are a leader in defending companies in mass tort and product liability litigation. The firm regularly coordinates the defense of large-scale, high-stakes product liability litigation across the US. We have extensive experience defending litigation involving pharmaceutical products, chemicals and toxic torts, and cases arising under state consumer protection laws, among other areas.
- Real Estate Finance. We handle the full range of commercial real estate financing structures, including mortgage and mezzanine loan originations for portfolios and securitizations, preferred equity, loan workouts, modifications and restructurings, mortgage and mezzanine loan foreclosures and deeds-in-lieu, and loan sales.
- Subprime Lending Regulation, Enforcement, and Litigation. We have a multidisciplinary practice in subprime lending that includes regulation, enforcement, and litigation. Our financial institutions, securities enforcement, litigation, and bankruptcy practices are all nationally recognized, and our professionals have comprehensive experience with subprime lending issues and associated regulatory proceedings, investigations, and litigation.
- Tax, Benefits, and Executive Compensation. We regularly advise buyers and sellers in merger, acquisition, and divestiture transactions with respect to tax and benefits matters, including advice regarding executive compensation issues. We provide tax and compensation structuring advice to hedge and private equity funds and cross-border tax counseling for inbound and outbound investment. Our tax lawyers advise debtors and creditors in restructuring debt and equity holdings and help structure real estate investments.
- White Collar Defense. Our White Collar Defense group represents a wide range of corporations and individuals, based in the U.S. and abroad, in federal and state criminal and civil investigations, trials, and appeals, as well as in regulatory and administrative proceedings. Our New York White Collar group is distinguished by having a number of former high-ranking government attorneys from the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, the New York County District Attorney’s Office, and New York City government. Our group’s broad substantive experience permits us to offer an integrated approach to the full range of problems a client may encounter. Click here to download our white collar practice description.