Lester Sotsky headed the firm's environmental practice from 2006 to 2015. He is a broadly experienced environmental litigator, handling multiple toxic tort, hazardous waste enforcement, Clean Water Act, appellate, and white collar matters. Mr. Sotsky has represented major corporations in virtually every major manufacturing and mining industry, as well as Native American Tribes and other stakeholders.
- Lead defense counsel in numerous toxic tort cases involving: varied contaminated media; metals, radioactive, organic and inorganic chemicals; drinking water, surface and groundwater, and air emissions; discontinued historical manufacturing operations and heavily regulated active facilities and businesses.
- Class actions: successfully defended or resolved every client class and mass tort actions; counsels numerous clients on proactive measures to mitigate exposure to environmental, toxic tort and product liabilities.
- National counsel to multiple clients on sophisticated environmental regulatory matters.
- Litigates enforcement cases and other environmental matters involving hazardous waste, Superfund, water pollution, and air pollution in numerous courts and administrative fora.
- Experienced appellate, civil, and criminal litigator.
- Counsels numerous clients on regulatory compliance and environmental health and safety management matters.
- Advises in the design and implementation of environmental management and compliance programs.
- Headed numerous environmental due diligence teams, and negotiated (and litigated) contractual agreements concerning environmental and product liabilities in mergers, acquisitions, and other transactions.
Environmental Representative Matters
- The Mosaic Company in win-win settlement of a "national initiative" by EPA and the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) seeking rigorous enforcement of Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) hazardous waste requirements at mineral processing facilities subject to the Bevill Amendment, whose scope and applicability have been the subject of dispute between the industry and the government.
- CSX in D.C. Department of Environment investigation and enforcement action concerning alleged unlawful, unreported petroleum discharges to tributary of the Anacostia River. Case successfully resolved by negotiated consent decree.
- Leading waste management company on applicability of federal hazardous waste (RCRA) regulation to various recycling practices and products.
- The Mosaic Company in litigation challenging EPA's plenary numeric nutrient water quality criteria in federal court in Florida; leading Mosaic's regulatory analysis and advocacy in respect of these new regulations.
- BP in connection with multiple aspects of the environmental regulatory, cleanup and litigation matters arising from the Deepwater Horizon incident.
- Foster Wheeler as lead counsel in class action, wrongful death, personal injury and individual property damage lawsuits involving Trichloroethylene (TCE) in drinking water. All cases successfully resolved; representing client in negotiations with the EPA over further investigations and cleanup.
- Leading defense and government contractor in providing product liability and litigation mitigation advice for high technology products involving potentially hazardous materials and/or pathways of exposure to third parties.
- Former chemical manufacturer in defense of large class action brought by neighbors of former facility, seeking massive damages for property and personal injuries associated with surface and groundwater migration of pesticides and other contaminants; case successfully settled for "cost of defense."
- Major manufacturer as lead counsel in Los Angeles polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) class action toxic tort case involving more than 100 claimants alleging multiple adverse health effects and other damages.
- Honeywell in successful settlement of a purported class action allegedly on behalf of several thousand victims of organic chemical contamination of groundwater in Tampa, with dramatically reduced settlement class, claims, and damages.
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2011-2015 for Environment (DC)
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2007-2011 for Products Liability: Toxic Torts
The Legal 500 US 2009-2015 "Leading Lawyer" for Environment: Litigation
Washington, DC Super Lawyers 2011 for Environmental Litigation
Washington Business Journal's "Top Washington Lawyers" 2009: Winner for Environmental Law