Danielle Garten's practice includes assisting clients with government reviews of mergers and acquisitions and filing obligations under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act (HSR). Ms. Garten's practice also includes coordination of multiple internal investigations arising in response to government inquiries related to alleged global cartel activity, including responses to grand jury subpoenas. Additionally, Ms. Garten has experience in various issues relating to requests for judicial assistance filed pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Taking of Evidence Abroad in Civil Commercial Matters.
Ms. Garten also maintains an active antitrust litigation practice. She defends multiple international clients in connection with multi-district civil litigations involving alleged industry-wide, multi-year conspiracies to fix prices and rig bids in violation of the Sherman Act and other laws.
Ms. Garten's practice also focuses on counseling in the areas of consumer protection and advertising. Ms. Garten is a regular contributor to the blog on consumer marketing legal issues, www.sellerbewareblog.com and has assisted clients in connection with Federal Trade Commission and class action consumer protection litigation, as well as in matters before the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau (NAD).
Antitrust/Competition Representative Matters
- Currently representing several international companies in active, multi-district litigations involving various allegations related to anti-competitive conduct.
- AT&T Inc. in its proposed acquisition of T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom.
- Water Street Healthcare Partners acquisition of CHS Health Services and Take Care Employer Solutions.
- AMC Entertainment Inc. in its acquisition of most of the assets of Kerasotes ShowPlace Theaters LLC. Assisted in the counseling of AMC regarding various aspects of the acquisition and compliance with HSR filing requirements. The matter was resolved with the US Department of Justice and various state attorneys general with limited divestitures.
- Unilever in the sale of its Lawry's & Adolph's spice/seasonings business to McCormick. Helped to counsel Unilever with its response to a second request by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Assisted medical device manufacturer in response to a second request by Federal Trade Commission in relation to the purchase of certain assets.
Government Antitrust Investigations
- Representation of Yamashita Rubber Co. Ltd.. in US Department of Justice investigation into alleged cartel activity involving anti-vibration rubber parts used in automobiles.
- Representation of Fujikura Ltd. in US Department of Justice automotive parts investigation of alleged cartel activity involving wire harnesses and related products.
- Representation of several current and former employees of multinational corporation living abroad in connection with US civil antitrust price fixing litigation. Handle various issues relating to requests for judicial assistance filed pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Taking of Evidence Abroad in Civil Commercial Matters.
- Representation of multinational corporation in international criminal antitrust investigation of alleged global cartel activity in violation of US antitrust laws.
- Representation of employee of international firm with regard to allegations of participation in international cartel activity.
- Clifton Telecard Alliance in FTC and class action litigation relating to prepaid calling cards.
- Representation of consumer products company in complaint process before the NAD.
- Currently representing inmate on death row in Texas with strong claims of actual innocence.
- In partnership with the Children's Law Center, serve as guardian ad litem in multiple child custody matters.
- In partnership with an attorney from GE, represented a fifth grader with special needs to secure appropriate special education accommodations in a DC charter school.
- Represented Troy Anthony Davis who was executed in September 2011 despite compelling evidence of actual innocence.
- Served as member of appellate defense team for Zacarias Moussaoui before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Holds top-secret national security clearance through the US Department of Justice.
Danielle M. Garten
"2014 Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments
" Contributor, Chapter 1, Restraints of Trade, Section B, Elements of a Section 1 Violation, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law,
Danielle M. Garten
"Consumer Protection and Advertising Law: An Emerging Practice with Exciting Career Opportunities
" Private Advertising Litigation Committee, American University Washington College of Law, Washington, DC, October 23, 2012
Danielle M. Garten
"November 2009 Developments in Consumer Protection Law
" ABA Antitrust Section Consumer Protection and Private Advertising Litigation Committees Brown Bag, December 7, 2009