Christopher Stothers is a Partner in Arnold & Porter (UK) LLP's Intellectual Property Litigation group in London and a Solicitor-Advocate in England and Wales. His practice concentrates on high value cross-border patent litigation (including opposition work before the European Patent Office) and antitrust litigation. He covers all fields of technology-from pharmaceutical and medical devices to software and telecommunications. His practice also covers other types of intellectual property litigation (trade mark, copyright, and designs), commercial litigation and arbitration, pharmaceutical regulation, and European Union law. From 2006 to 2010 he was an arbitrator for .eu domain name disputes.
Dr Stothers is also a Visiting Lecturer in Intellectual Property and Competition Law at University College London. His 2007 practitioner textbook, "Parallel Trade in Europe: Intellectual Property, Competition and Regulatory Law", has been well received and was cited by the UK Supreme Court. He also wrote the Intellectual Property chapter of the 2003 and 2010 editions of "Oliver on Free Movement of Goods in the European Union". He is a frequent conference speaker and he regularly publishes articles in the leading intellectual property and competition journals.
He is committed to pro bono matters, including cases on recognition of change of gender for social security and tax purposes before the First Tier Tribunal, the Upper Tribunal, the Social Security Commissioners and the Court of Appeal.
Intellectual Property Representative Matters
- Defending a pharmaceutical manufacturer in proceedings for revocation of its Supplementary Protection Certificate for a blockbuster product before the Patents Court in England.
- Defending a pharmaceutical manufacturer in proceedings for revocation of its paediatric extension of a Supplementary Protection Certificate for a blockbuster product before the Patents Court in England.
- Represented an enzyme manufacturer in patent revocation proceedings before the Patents Court in England and assisted in related actions in Denmark, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, and before the European Patent Office.
- Defended a medical device manufacturer in patent infringement proceedings before the Patents County Court in England and in related mediation proceedings.
- Defended a telecommunications company in patent revocation proceedings before the High Court and Court of Appeal in England.
- Defended a pharmaceutical manufacturer in patent entitlement proceedings before the High Court, Court of Appeal and House of Lords in England, and assisting in related actions in France, Germany, and Austria.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in patent Opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office and advised on enforcement strategy across Europe.
- Advised a software technology company on patent strategy before the European Patent Office and in Phase II merger control before the European Commission.
- Acted as arbitrator's assistant in a patent dispute under WIPO expedited arbitration rules.
The Legal 500 UK 2013 - Recommended for Intellectual Property
The Legal 500 UK 2013 - Recommended for TMT: Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
Legal Business Awards 2013, highly commended for TMT Team of the Year
The Legal 500 UK 2012 - Recommended for TMT: Intellectual Property
The Legal 500 UK 2012 - Recommended for TMT: Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
Named Intellectual Property Magazine's "Young IP Lawyer of the Year" 2011
IAM Patent 1000 2013 - Recommended for Litigation
Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Award 2008, top of the Dispute Resolution section
SuperLawyers 2013 - Rising Star in Intellectual Property
Inner Temple Book Prize 2008, "Parallel Trade in Europe" shortlisted for Young Author's Prize
Who's Who Legal Life Sciences 2013 - Recommended for Intellectual Property
LawWorks Pro Bono Awards 2008, shortlisted
The Legal 500 UK 2011 - Recommended for Intellectual Property
"Draft proposal for a revised block exemption for technology transfer agreements and for revised guidelines
" Submission of the Competition Law Association to the European Commission consultation,
"Winning Cross-Border Patent Litigation
" Global Reference Guide - Intellectual Property, pages 18-19,
"The Murphy licensing case
" Scottish Competition Law Forum seminar on Competition and the Media, Edinburgh May 2012
"Free Movement & Copyright: A Review of the Decoder Cases
" Fordham Conference on International IP Law, New York April 2012
"Intellectual property: patents and trade marks
" SMi Conference on Pharmaceutical Parallel Trade February 2012
"Reconciling competing interests
" LexisNexis conference on IP and Competition November 2011
"Developments in case law on biotechnological inventions
" AIJA conference on IP October 2011
"EU Litigation considerations and update
" SMi conference on Biosimilars September 2011
"Regulation of Competition in Europe and the UK: A Map for IP Users
" CLT conference on IP and Competition Law May 2011
"Telecoms and Patents
" Fordham Conference on International IP Law, New York April 2011
"Key European Biotech Cases and Landmark Decisions Affecting Biotech Patent Practice
" C5 conference on Biotech Patenting, Munich March 2011
"Recent developments in parallel trade and repackaging
" Arnold & Porter seminar for pharmaceutical clients January 2011
"Satellite decoder cases - competition issues
" BLACA conference, Edinburgh October 2010
"Management of cross-border European Litigation
" EPLAW conference on cross-border patent litigation, Brussels May 2010
"IP and Abuse of Control
" CLT conference on Ownership and Control of IP Rights May 2010
"Nokia and in-transit border controls
" Fordham Conference on International IP Law, New York April 2010
"Impact of the Single Market Imperative
" SMi conference on Pharmaceutical Parallel Trade February 2010
"Competition law - Distribution agreements and selective distribution
" UK Office of Fair Trading conference on Brand Protection and Competition January 2010