Michael Berta is a partner in the intellectual property group of Arnold & Porter LLP and is based in the San Francisco office. Mr. Berta focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation, with experience in both patent and trade secret litigation across a wide range of technologies, including data storage systems and software, networking hardware and software, microprocessor and flash memory architecture, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and consumer products. Mr. Berta has tried cases before judges and juries in federal court and before the International Trade Commission.
Intellectual Property Representative Matters
- Represented hardware, software and web-based services companies including Adobe, Google and Hewlett-Packard in patent litigation in multiple jurisdictions, including the Eastern District of Texas and Delaware.
- Represented various pharmaceutical companies in ANDA patent litigation in United States District Courts of Delaware and New Jersey, both at trial and in preliminary injunction proceedings.
- Represented various pharmaceutical and life sciences companies, including Medicis Pharmaceutical, Affymetrix, Ventana Medical Systems, Arcturus Engineering Neopharm, VISX (now AMO) and Cell Therapeutics in patent, trade secret, and drug development litigation involving technologies such as transdermal delivery systems, DNA/RNA microarrays, DNA probes, laser capture microdissection, and oncological pharmaceuticals.
- Represented companies in the semiconductor industry, including Renesas, Sun Microsystems, SMIC, SanDisk, Numerical Technologies and Nanya Technology in patent and trade secret litigation involving semiconductor manufacturing technology, DRAM architecture, flash controller technology, and server architecture.
- Represented Crocs in district court, before the ITC and with Customs in design and utility patent matters against import shoe manufacturers.
- Represented RealNetworks in DMCA/antitrust action involving DVD technology.
- Represented Global VR in copyright and trade dress action over coin-operated video golf.
- Other clients have included Logicube, LeapFrog Enterprises, Fortinet, Digital Oilfield, Platinum Equity, the California Lottery, the McClatchy Company, UTStarcom and NetSuite.
Michael A. Berta
"Weighing Generic Litigation In The ITC
April 28, 2011