Mr. Martinez is an Associate in the firm's Intellectual Property practice group. His practice focuses primarily on complex patent litigation involving medical device, life science, database design, computer software/hardware, Internet advertising, and MRI technologies. In addition to trial and deposition experience, he has experience drafting pleadings, analyzing prior art and patent claims, drafting patent infringement and invalidity contentions, Markman briefing and hearings, working with expert witnesses, drafting pre-trial and dispositive motions, and managing discovery and overall litigation. His practice also includes pro bono representation such as successfully advocating in front of the USCIS for a grant of asylum on behalf of a client. In addition, he is currently providing pro bono representation to military veterans in the LA area and successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of clients under the Administrative Procedures Act.
Prior to law school he worked for a multinational manufacturing company where he was involved in management in addition to manufacturing, chemical, and quality engineering. He also has experience with software applications and programming, such as previously developing a computer application for inventory management. During his schooling, he conducted biomedical research with a team for development of a cancer treatment that eventually received a US patent.
During law school he served as the Executive Articles Editor and as a Staff Editor for the Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal.
Intellectual Property Representative Matters
- Represented leading developer, manufacturer and supplier of medical products against infringer of a mammography-related invention, securing jury verdict after a five-day trial.
- Represented multinational developer, manufacturer, and supplier of medical products in patent litigation involving brachytherapy technology, securing stay of litigation pending inter partes reexamination and concurrent litigation and ultimately securing dismissal of litigation.
- Currently representing client in complex MDL patent litigation related to computer hardware technologies; argued at Markman hearing and secured a ruling of indefiniteness that invalidated certain claims in suit.
- Represented multinational healthcare company in patent litigation related to DNA labeling technology and secured summary judgment leading to end of decade-long litigation.
- Represented leading developer, manufacture, and supplier of MRI products in patent litigation involving MRI imaging technology.
- Represented leading developer, manufacturer, and supplier of stent technologies in patent litigation involving stent geometry, securing stay of litigation pending inter partes reexamination.
- Represented multinational automotive manufacturer in patent litigation involving internal combustion engine and emission technologies.
matching your criteria.