Nicholas Lee is an associate in the firm's intellectual property practice group. Mr. Lee's practice focuses primarily on complex patent litigation involving software, electrical, and medical device technologies. He has experience in analyzing prior art and patent claims, developing patent invalidity and infringement theories, drafting expert reports and dispositive motions, conducting discovery, claim construction, taking and defending depositions, and trial/hearing preparation.
Prior to law school, Mr. Lee was a software engineer at an international electronic discovery firm. There, he was responsible for designing the front-end architecture and back-end database to manage all aspects of e-discovery projects. He was also an engineering specialist responsible for the development of a VoIP platform at a telecommunications company. This included database design and optimization, as well as programming call flow logic and back-end database stored procedures. He has developed e-commerce platforms and has also worked extensively with the UCLA Biomedical Laboratory to develop mRNA pattern recognition software for use as a research tool.
While in law school, Mr. Lee was a Student Articles Editor for the Loyola Law Journal and externed for the Honorable Blanche Manning in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Intellectual Property Representative Matters
- Google Inc. (E.D. Tex.) Representing Google Inc. in an ongoing patent infringement case related to data processing systems.
- Google Inc. (E.D. Tex.) Representing Google Inc. in an ongoing patent infringement case related to signal monitoring and analysis.
- Google Inc. (D. Del.) Representing Google Inc. in an ongoing patent infringement case related to distributed computing technologies.
- General Electric Company (D. Del.) Representing General Electric Company in a patent infringement action related to intext, dynamic advertising systems and methods.
- Patent infringement case (E.D. Tex.) concerning geolocational and topical searching technology. Defending various corporations against infringement allegations related to data searching systems and methods.
- Hologic, Inc. (N.D. Cal.) Represented Hologic, Inc. in a patent infringement suit against Conceptus, Inc. involving implantable contraception devices.
- Patent infringement case (W.D. Pa.) related to methods and apparatuses for transmitting digital audio or video signals. Representing patentee in asserting infringement against manufacturer of media hardware and software.
- Boston Scientific Corp. (D. Mass.) Representing Boston Scientific Corp. in a patent infringement matter involving stent technology.
- Patent infringement case relating to database technology. Represented corporation providing software solutions against infringement allegations concerning a method of querying databases through a network.
- General Electric Company (W.D. Wisc.) Represented General Electric Company in asserting declaratory judgment of patent invalidity against SonoSite, Inc. in a litigation concerning ultrasound technology. The case settled favorably after trial and post-trial briefing.
- Hologic, Inc. (D. Mass.) Represented Hologic, Inc. in a patent false marking suit against Conceptus, Inc.
- Daimler AG and Mercedes Benz USA. Represented Daimler AG and MBUSA against Kruse Technology Partnership’s allegations of patent infringement relating to diesel engine technologies.
- Patent litigation concerning a method and apparatus for printing images on dark textiles. Represented patentee in asserting infringement against several defendants relating to the use of underbases for printing on dark substrates.
- Boston Scientific Corp. (D. Del.) Represented Boston Scientific Corp. in a patent licensing dispute.