Mr. Sahay is an associate in Arnold & Porter LLP's environmental practice group. His practice focuses on chemicals regulation, the Clean Air Act, consumer products issues, climate change, contaminated properties, and natural resource damages. Prior to joining Arnold & Porter, Mr. Sahay also had significant experience with matters involving the Clean Water Act, land use, NEPA, alternative energy, green marketing, and environmental issues in corporate and real estate transactions and securities offerings.
In addition to his legal experience, Mr. Sahay's scientific background lends particular depth and insight into issues involving complex scientific principles. He has co-authored an environmental chemistry paper; studied, taught, researched, and published in atmospheric chemistry; and spent two years working as an environmental consultant in the field of human health risk assessment.
Mr. Sahay has an active pro bono practice, focusing on helping clients deal with complex environmental strategy and legislation as well as other areas such as asylum applications.
Mr. Sahay is currently Co-Vice Chair of Special Projects for the Pesticides, Chemical Regulation, and Right to Know Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources. He is also a member of the Section's Leadership Development Program.
Environmental Representative Matters
- Aided in development of federal advocacy strategy for alternative energy client.
Clean Air Act
- Advises leading American battery recycler on ongoing lead NAAQS and NESHAP developments and requirements, including preparation of comments in NESHAP rulemaking and submission of compliance plans for inclusion in SIPs.
- Advises fertilizer manufacturer on PSD and SO2 NAAQS issues.
- Advised petroleum company on international and domestic legal requirements related to offshore drilling operations.
- Advises numerous consumer products companies regarding TSCA and FIFRA requirements, including export-import requirements.
- Advises leading American pallet distributor regarding emerging federal and state chemicals laws; tracks and monitors potentially relevant emerging state and federal legislation.
- Helped one of world's largest consumer products companies prepare for hearing in front of EPA FIFRA Science Advisory Panel.
- Advises leading American automobile manufacturer with respect to interpretation of federal mobile source greenhouse gas reduction requirements.
- On behalf of nuclear energy client, prepared comments in several states' RGGI rulemakings.
Clean Water Act
- Researched and drafted portions of successful brief in United States Supreme Court case involving use of cost-benefit analysis in evaluating cooling water intake structures.