Sonia Pfaffenroth is a member of the firm's antitrust and trade regulation practice group. Her practice includes representing clients in antitrust litigation, defense of government investigations, government review of mergers and acquisitions, and counseling. Ms. Pfaffenroth has represented clients in a variety of industries including pharmaceuticals, financial services, medical devices and manufacturing.
Antitrust/Competition Representative Matters
- In re Automotive Parts Antitrust Litigation, represents Fujikura Ltd. in direct and indirect purchaser class actions alleging price-fixing with regard to automobile wire harnesses and related products.
- Unilever, represented Unilever in its acquisition of the Alberto Culver hair care business, including in its response to a Second Request by the Department of Justice and subsequent divestiture of certain brands.
- In re Municipal Derivatives Antitrust Litigation, represent defendants in multidistrict litigation in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York involving allegations of price-fixing.
- In re TriCor Antitrust Litigation, represented defendant Laboratoires Fournier in an antitrust jury trial in the US District Court for the District of Delaware involving allegations of predatory innovation. Case settled just prior to jury deliberations.
- Bucyrus International, Inc., coordinated U.S. merger approval process in US$1.3 billion acquisition of Terex Corporation's mining equipment business.
- Zimmer Holdings, represented client in DOJ criminal price-fixing investigation involving orthopedic implant devices and in related class action litigation.
- Boston Scientific Corporation, represented Boston Scientific in its US$27 billion acquisition of Guidant Corporation with respect to the FTC's investigation of the acquisition and pre-close sale of certain of Guidant's business to Abbott Laboratories. Assisted with analyses concerning relevant markets and divestiture/separation issues; prepared submissions to FTC addressing various competitive issues; and participated in negotiations of consent decree.
- Counsel clients with respect to distribution arrangements and price discrimination.