Anand Agneshwar co-chairs the firm's product liability litigation practice group. He represents pharmaceutical and consumer product companies as national, strategic, trial and appellate counsel in product liability litigation and related litigation. His experience includes nearly a dozen bench and jury trials, numerous Daubert and Daubert-style hearings, and hundreds of significant arguments in state and federal trial and appellate courts across the country. He also counsels clients on litigation risks, US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulatory issues, and the litigation and compliance impact of potential legislation. Mr. Agneshwar writes frequently on product liability and FDA issues. He also maintains an active pro bono practice focusing on protecting civil liberties.
Mr. Agneshwar graduated from New York University School of Law, magna cum laude, in 1992, where he was Order of the Coif, Developments Editor of the NYU Law Review, and published a note entitled "Rediscovering God In The Constitution." Following law school, he clerked for the late Honorable Harold A. Ackerman, US District Judge for the District of New Jersey, and Morton I. Greenberg, US Circuit Judge for the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
Litigation Representative Matters
- Lead counsel to Bristol-Myers Squibb and Sanofi in Plavix litigation and other prescription drug litigations.
- Counsel to Wyeth in diet drug litigation since 1997, currently providing strategic advice and handling trials and appeals.
- Procured one of the, if not the, first Daubert-type hearing and compelled court-ordered independent medical examination in Mississippi state court.
- Lead counsel in numerous First Amendment cases involving, among other issues, public school censorship of student-initiated religious speech and retaliation and arrest of a student for protesting full body scanners at airport.
- Represented prominent legal philosophers John Rawls, Ronald Dworkin, Thomas Nagel, Bernard Williams, and Robert Nozick in amicus brief on end-of-life care issues in Supreme Court.
The Legal 500 US 2013 for Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense: Consumer Products (including tobacco)
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2013 for Product Liability (Nationwide)
The International Who's Who of Product Liability Defence Lawyers 2013
New York Super Lawyers 2010 for General Litigation
Lawdragon 500 "New Stars, New Worlds" 2006
"Direct Examination of the In-House Scientist
" ACI's 3rd Annual Drug and Medical Device On Trial, New York, New York, June 24-25, 2009
, James W.A. Ladner and Paul W. Schmidt "Assessing Congressional and Political Influence on Product Liability Litigation
" 13th Annual Drug and Medical Device Litigation Conference, American Conference Institute (ACI), New York, NY, December 9-11, 2008
and Connie Matteo "Strategies from the Trenches: Managing Multiple Experts and Coordinating with Co-Counsel During Complex Drug and Device Litigation
" Drug and Device Preemption & Expert Witness & Scientific Evidence Summit, American Conference Institute (ACI), Philadelphia, PA, July 14-15, 2008
"Litigating the Preemption Defense: Picking Your Fights Carefully
" 12th Annual Drug & Medical Device Litigation, New York, New York, December 12-14, 2007
"Parallel Proceedings: Defending a Product on Multiple Fronts
" Drug and Medical Device Litigation: The Corporate Counsel Guide to Minimizing Risk and Reducing Exposure, New York, New York, March 1-2, 2005
"The Proper Interpretation, Expansion and Implementation of Medical Monitoring Remedies in New Jersey
" Mass Tort Law in New Jersey, New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2005