Ali Sharifahmadian is a partner in Arnold & Porter LLP's intellectual property practice group, where he concentrates his practice on intellectual property litigation at both the trial and appellate levels, including patent, trade secret and unfair competition litigation. Mr. Sharifahmadian has been involved in all phases of pre-trial, trial and appellate litigation, and has significant experience managing cases, taking and defending depositions, arguing in court, conducting direct and cross-examination at trial, and writing appellate briefs. Mr. Sharifahmadian's cases have included a wide range of technologies such as computer architecture, computer graphics, semiconductor lasers, fiber optics, communications protocols, telecommunications technology, software design, digital video compression, and medical testing equipment.
Mr. Sharifahmadian is experienced in counseling clients in technology-based transactions, including negotiating licenses and evaluating IP portfolios. Additionally, Mr. Sharifahmadian is regularly engaged by clients to evaluate and provide opinions on issues such as infringement, validity and enforceability, and has assisted various clients with applying for and obtaining patents from the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Mr. Sharifahmadian received his JD from the William & Mary School of Law in 1996, where he served on the executive editorial board of the William & Mary Law Review. He received a BS in Electrical Engineering from Washington University in 1993.
Intellectual Property Representative Matters
- Represented Hologic in Hologic, Inc. v. IZI Medical Products, LLC in a patent infringement action involving mammography technology.
- Represented Nichia Corporation in Nichia Corp. v. Seoul Semiconductor Company et al. in a patent infringement action involving semiconductor light emitting devices.
- Represented Dell Inc. in defending against charges of infringement of 12 different patents in numerous technologies such as communication protocols, modems, computer graphics, video compression in action brought by Lucent Technologies, Inc. and Multimedia Patent Trust.
- Represented Microsoft Corporation in Alacritech, Inc. v. Microsoft Corporation in a patent infringement case involving internet communication protocols.
- Represented Microsoft Corporation in Extreme Audio Reality v. Microsoft Corporation in a patent infringement lawsuit involving surround sound technology.
- Represented Raytek Corporation in Omega Engineering Inc. v. Raytek Corporation in a patent infringement lawsuit involving radiometers.
- Represented Vastera in Expediters International v. Vastera Inc. in a software trade secret misappropriation case.
Ali R. Sharifahmadian
"Recent Developments in IP Law That May Affect Internet Transactions and Litigation
" Sony Music Entertainment Legal Department, New York, New York, April 7, 2009
Ali R. Sharifahmadian
"Pre-Suit Strategies for Evaluating and Minimizing Litigation Risks in the Face of an Accusation of Patent Infringement
" WMACCA IT/IP Forum, Northern Virginia, November 14, 2007