Rachel Chanin is a litigation associate in the San Francisco office. Her practice focuses on complex commercial litigation matters, with an emphasis on class actions, unfair competition and false advertising claims, California Proposition 65 actions, and intellectual property matters, including both trademark and patent disputes. She also has experience counseling clients on trademark matters, and litigating trademark disputes before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. During a three-month period after she joined Arnold & Porter LLP, Ms. Chanin participated in the San Francisco District Attorney's volunteer program where she first chaired several jury trials.
Ms. Chanin graduated magna cum laude and Order of the Coif from New York University School of Law, where she served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Annual Survey of American Law. Following law school, Ms. Chanin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Michael Chertoff, of the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2003-04) and the Honorable Kenneth M. Karas, of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York (2004-05).
Litigation Representative Matters
- Represent patentee in patent infringement action relating to sale of digital audio and video signals.
- Represented dietary supplement manufacturer in connection with multiple trademark infringement matters in federal court and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office; negotiated and drafted coexistence and settlement agreements.
- Represented major telephone accessory manufacturer in patent dispute.
- Represented hearing aid manufacturer in trademark dispute before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Represented technology company in trademark and trade name dispute.
- Represented national food manufacturer in multiple class actions alleging false advertising in connection with trans fat content of various food products.
- Represented major restaurant system in multiple class actions alleging inaccuracies in nutritional information provided on menus.
- Represented major food manufacturer in litigation brought by California Attorney General and citizens groups to require Proposition 65 warnings on snack foods.
- Represented building products manufacturer in class action alleging defects in products. Oversaw on-site inspections and prepared motions.
- Briefed and successfully argued immigration appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Represented auto manufacturer in opposing motion for new trial and appeal.
- Assisted in preparation of amicus brief before the United States Supreme Court.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in connection with contract dispute trial in Delaware Chancery Court .