Danielle Garten is an associate in the firm's antitrust/competition and consumer protection and advertising practice groups. Her practice includes assisting clients with government reviews of mergers and acquisitions, civil litigation and filing obligations under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act (HSR). Ms. Garten's practice also includes coordination of multiple internal investigations arising in response to government inquiries related to alleged global cartel activity, including responses to grand jury subpoenas. Additionally, Ms. Garten has experience in various issues relating to requests for judicial assistance filed pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Taking of Evidence Abroad in Civil Commercial Matters.
Ms. Garten's practice also focuses on counseling in the areas of consumer protection and advertising. Ms. Garten is a regular contributor to the blog on consumer marketing legal issues, www.consumeradvertisinglawblog.com and has assisted clients in connection with Federal Trade Commission and class action consumer protection litigation, as well as in matters before the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau (NAD).
Ms. Garten graduated cum laude from American University, Washington College of Law in 2006. She was a member of American University International Law Review, and was a Marshall-Brennan teaching fellow from 2004-2005.
Antitrust/Competition Representative Matters
- AMC Entertainment Inc. in its acquisition of most of the assets of Kerasotes ShowPlace Theatres LLC. Assisted in the counseling of AMC regarding various aspects of the acquisition and compliance with HSR filing requirements. The matter was resolved with the US Department of Justice and various state attorneys general with limited divestitures.
- Unilever in the sale of its Lawry's & Adolph's spice/seasonings business to McCormick. Helped to counsel Unilever with its response to a second request by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Assisted medical device manufacturer in response to a second request by Federal Trade Commission in relation to the purchase of certain assets.
Government Antitrust Investigations
- Representation of Fujikura Ltd. in US Department of Justice automotive parts investigation of alleged cartel activity involving wire harnesses and related products.
- Representation of several current and former employees of multinational corporation living abroad in connection with US civil antitrust price fixing litigation. Handle various issues relating to requests for judicial assistance filed pursuant to the Hague Convention on the Taking of Evidence Abroad in Civil Commercial Matters.
- Representation of multinational corporation in international criminal antitrust investigation of alleged global cartel activity in violation of US antitrust laws.
- Representation of employee of international firm with regard to allegations of participation in international cartel activity.
- Clifton Telecard Alliance in FTC and class action litigation relating to prepaid calling cards.
- Serving as guardian ad litem for eleven year old twins through a partnership with the Children's Law Center.
- In partnership with an attorney from GE, representing a fifth grader with special needs to secure appropriate special education accommodations in a DC charter school.
- Represented Troy Anthony Davis, an inmate on death row in Georgia with strong claims of actual innocence.
- Served as member of appellate defense team for Zacarias Moussaoui before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Holds top-secret national security clearance through the US Department of Justice.