Richard Dickinson's practice focuses on transactional matters, notably those involving intellectual property rights management, exploitation, and protection. He also specializes in technology and commercial contracts, as well as advising on related regulatory advice (including data protection, privacy, advertising, promotional, and marketing issues).
He advises clients across a range of industries, such as the media and entertainment, telecommunications, software and technology, pharmaceutical, life sciences, retail, fast moving consumer goods (FMCG), and finance sectors.
Richard's experience includes advising on a range of collaboration, sale/acquisition and licensing agreements (in particular those involving intellectual property assets); commercialization arrangements; distribution, supply and manufacturing contracts; content issues; advertising clearance advice; data protection policies and data processing arrangements; outsourcing, software and hardware contracts, including Internet and new technology matters. He has particular experience of acting on transactions involving multiple jurisdictions.
Richard has a degree in biochemistry from the University of Bristol, and studied law at postgraduate level.
Intellectual Property Representative Matters
- Worldwide manufacturing company on its pan-European licensing strategy.
- Norgine, a specialty pharmaceutical company, on a collaboration and exclusive licensing agreement with Austria-based biotech company Innovacell, for personalised cell-based therapy.
- UK free-to-air broadcaster on a data protection review and assessment of its viewer and subscriber databases.
- Global television channel on its production agreements and wider content arrangements.
- IP-owning company on its franchising agreements across various sectors.
- Global pharmaceutical group on its licensing arrangements, distribution contracts, online presence, and patient data retention issues.
- World-leading nutritional group on its wholesaler and distribution contracts.
- Financial news provision company on its licensing structures and content ownership.
Legal 500 UK 2015 for Data Protection
Legal 500 UK 2015 for Intellectual Property
Chambers UK: A Client's Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2015 for Intellectual Property
The Legal 500 UK 2014 - Recommended for TMT: Intellectual Property
The Legal 500 UK 2014 - Recommended for TMT: Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
The Legal 500 UK 2013 - Recommended for TMT: Brand Management
The Legal 500 UK 2012 - Recommended for TMT: Media and Entertainment
PLC Which lawyer? 2012 - Recommended for IP: Commercial IP
The Legal 500 UK 2011 for TMT: Media and Entertainment
The Legal 500 UK 2010: Richard Dickinson is ‘brilliant’ for sponsorship work, ‘a legend’ who is ‘recommended for everything to do with artists, festivals and brands’ and Richard Dickinson’s…‘trade mark services are excellent.’
PLC Which lawyer? Yearbook 2010-2011 - Endorsed for IP: Commercial IP
Managing Intellectual Property Handbook 2011 (Copyright section) - Richard Dickinson is also gaining a strong client following in this copyright niche. "Should I ever need sound commercial IP advice within budget and on time in the UK, I tend to ask Richard [Dickinson] and his associate Jake Marshall," says a client. "They deliver user-friendly, sensible advice and have an excellent grasp of our business needs, and their estimates on fees and time are always realistic from the outset so they never disappoint."
The Legal 500 UK 2012 - Recommended for TMT: Brand Management
The Legal 500 UK 2011 for TMT: Brand Management
The Legal 500 UK 2011 for TMT: Intellectual Property