Richard Dickinson is a Partner in the London office, where his practice focuses on transactional matters, notably those involving intellectual property rights management, exploitation, and protection. He also specializes in technology and commercial contracts, as well as advising on related regulatory advice (including data protection, privacy, advertising, promotional, and marketing issues).
He advises clients across a range of industries, such as the media and entertainment, telecommunications, software and technology, pharmaceutical, life sciences, retail, fast moving consumer goods (FMCG), and finance sectors.
Richard’s experience includes advising on a range of collaboration, sale/acquisition and licensing agreements (in particular those involving intellectual property assets); commercialization arrangements; distribution, supply and manufacturing contracts; content issues; advertising clearance advice; data protection policies and data processing arrangements; outsourcing, software and hardware contracts, including Internet and new technology matters. He has particular experience of acting on transactions involving multiple jurisdictions.
Richard has a degree in biochemistry from the University of Bristol, and studied law at postgraduate level.
Intellectual Property Representative Matters
- Advised a worldwide manufacturing company on its pan-European licensing strategy.
- Represented the UK's leading cable network operator on its rebranding arrangements and licenses.
- Represented the leading UK free-to-air broadcaster on the successful sale of a significant portfolio of music publishing copyrights to one of the major record companies.
- Represented a leading retailer on one of the UK's largest franchising arrangements.
- Represented an international clothing brand on its sponsorship deal with a sports governing body.
- Advised a newspaper group on the UK's cross-media ownership regulations prior to its proposed investment in radio stations.
- Advised a pharmaceutical group on its licensing arrangements, distribution contracts, online presence, and patient data retention issues.
- Advised a world leading nutritional group on its wholesaler and distribution contracts.
- Worked with a US based, world-leading online retailer on developing its pan-EU data protection policies and e-marketing strategies.
Legal 500 UK 2015 for Data Protection
Legal 500 UK 2015 for Intellectual Property
Chambers UK: A Client's Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2015 for Intellectual Property
The Legal 500 UK 2014 - Recommended for TMT: Intellectual Property
The Legal 500 UK 2014 - Recommended for TMT: Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology
The Legal 500 UK 2013 - Recommended for TMT: Brand Management
The Legal 500 UK 2012 - Recommended for TMT: Media and Entertainment
PLC Which lawyer? 2012 - Recommended for IP: Commercial IP
The Legal 500 UK 2011 for TMT: Media and Entertainment
The Legal 500 UK 2010: Richard Dickinson is ‘brilliant’ for sponsorship work, ‘a legend’ who is ‘recommended for everything to do with artists, festivals and brands’ and Richard Dickinson’s…‘trade mark services are excellent.’
PLC Which lawyer? Yearbook 2010-2011 - Endorsed for IP: Commercial IP
Managing Intellectual Property Handbook 2011 (Copyright section) - Richard Dickinson is also gaining a strong client following in this copyright niche. "Should I ever need sound commercial IP advice within budget and on time in the UK, I tend to ask Richard [Dickinson] and his associate Jake Marshall," says a client. "They deliver user-friendly, sensible advice and have an excellent grasp of our business needs, and their estimates on fees and time are always realistic from the outset so they never disappoint."
The Legal 500 UK 2012 - Recommended for TMT: Brand Management
The Legal 500 UK 2011 for TMT: Brand Management
The Legal 500 UK 2011 for TMT: Intellectual Property