As a partner in the firm's antitrust group, Mr. Liss has extensive experience with criminal antitrust investigations, civil antitrust litigation (including federal and state class actions, individual opt-out cases, and competitor-injury lawsuits), and mergers. In addition, he has assisted clients with numerous US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and US Department of Justice (DOJ) civil antitrust investigations involving collusive conduct and exclusionary practices. Mr. Liss also provides clients with counseling to proactively address competition issues.
Antitrust/Competition Representative Matters
- TPG Capital, L.P.
- Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- Hoffmann-La Roche Inc.
- Talecris Biotherapeutics
- Zimmer Holdings
- General Electric Company
- Occidental Chemical Company
- Zeon Corporation
- TPG Capital, L.P. in civil antitrust litigation involving LBO bidding practices of the leading private equity firms.
- Koito Mamufacturing Co., Ltd. in connection with DOJ criminal investigation regarding automotive lighting systems, and in related civil damages litigation.
- Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. and Roche Vitamins Inc. in the record-setting vitamins criminal antitrust investigation, and in litigation and settlement of related private damage actions.
- Principally responsible for developing Roche's economic analysis and defenses in the multibillion dollar civil vitamins litigation.
- Heavily involved in the international jurisdiction and discovery issues presented in the vitamins matter, including the Empagran Supreme Court case, which substantially restricted the ability of foreign purchasers to seek recovery under the US antitrust laws.
- Talecris Biotherapeutics (a manufacturer of plasma-derived therapies) in FTC investigations regarding proposed acquisitions of Talecris by CSL and Grifols, respectively.
- Zeon Corporation and Zeon Chemicals L.P. in DOJ criminal price-fixing investigation involving acrylo-nitrile butadiene rubber (NBR), and in litigation and settlement of related private damages litigation.
- Zimmer Holdings in DOJ criminal price-fixing investigation involving orthopedic implant devices, and in related class action litigation.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. and Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. in DOJ criminal price-fixing investigation involving citric acid, and in litigation and settlement of related private damage actions.
- Pharmaceutical client in FTC civil collusion investigation regarding supply and pricing issues.
- Various clients in counseling regarding pricing and distribution issues, potential mergers, and joint ventures.