James Speyer is a partner in the firm's Los Angeles office. His practice focuses on antitrust and other complex civil litigation, including consumer protection and franchise law. Mr. Speyer has an extensive background in all phases of civil trial practice and appeals, in federal and state courts in California and throughout the country. Recently, he successfully led the joint defense team in a set of antitrust class actions alleging price-fixing among competitors and seeking billions of dollars in damages.
From 1991 to 2005, Mr. Speyer was an attorney at Arnold & Porter LLP and practiced in the antitrust and trade regulation group. Prior to rejoining Arnold & Porter in 2008, Mr. Speyer served as Chair of the litigation practice group of Heller Ehrman's Los Angeles office.
Mr. Speyer received his law degree from George Washington University Law School, where he was a member of the Law Review.
Antitrust/Competition Representative Matters
- Represents global energy company in franchisee class action litigation asserting contract, unfair competition and antitrust claims.
- Represents global convenience store franchisor in consumer class action litigation and franchisee class action litigation.
- Represents global foodservice retailer in franchisee and real estate matters and consumer class action litigation.
- Represents leading tobacco company in antitrust class actions alleging Sherman Act § 1 violations.
- Represents leading global liability insurer in connection with hundreds of personal injury claims brought by retired NFL players against its insured, a leading helmet manufacturer.
- Represents leading internet domain name registry operator in antitrust lawsuit alleging Sherman Act § 1 and § 2 violations.
- Represents major professional sports league in consumer class action litigation.
- Represents national department store chain in consumer class action litigation.
- Represents leading concert promotion company in antitrust class actions alleging Sherman Act § 2 violations.
- Represents global energy company in business litigation.
- Served as lead counsel for the tobacco industry in healthcare reimbursement and unfair competition lawsuits brought by the State of California and 19 California cities and counties.
- Served as lead counsel for the lead industry in class action brought by California public entities seeking abatement of all lead-painted properties in California.
- Represented tobacco company in statewide consumer class action seeking to invalidate on antitrust grounds the landmark Master Settlement Agreement between 46 attorneys general and the major tobacco companies.
- Represented one of the nation's largest distributors of electrical products in federal antitrust lawsuit alleging group boycott and attempted monopolization claims.
- Represented leading global liability insurer in connection with hundreds of sexual abuse claims brought against its insured, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
- Represented sporting goods company in claims brought under California's "Made in U.S.A." statute.
- Defended weapons manufacturer in product liability/wrongful death lawsuit.
Southern California Super Lawyers 2011 for Antitrust Litigation and Business Litigation
Named one of California’s “Top 20 Lawyers Under 40” by Daily Journal, 1999
Southern California Super Lawyers 2012 for Antitrust Litigation