Securities Enforcement and Litigation
Mike Trager co-chairs Arnold & Porter's Securities Enforcement and Litigation Group, leads the Firm's securities enforcement practice, and is part of the Firm's leadership.
With 30 years of experience, Mr. Trager defends clients in governmental and regulatory investigations conducted by the SEC, DOJ, Congress, FINRA, PCAOB, and other agencies and regulators. He also conducts internal investigations and counsels on compliance, corporate governance, crisis management, disclosure, and securities and market matters.
His clients include global institutions, public companies, financial services and investment firms of all types, accounting and law firms, boards, board chairs, directors, CEOs, CFOs, general counsels, chief compliance and risk management officers, and others.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Trager served in the SEC's Division of Enforcement in Washington, DC, where he was responsible for conducting investigations and involved in representing the government in litigation.
Chambers USA has consistently ranked Mr. Trager as a leading nationwide securities regulation and enforcement lawyer and reports that he is "at the top of his game" and "a very effective advocate" who is "interested in coming to proactive solutions for the client." According to Chambers, he also is "practical and responsive" and has "a big-picture perspective" along with "great instincts, meticulous attention to detail and client care"; he is "an exceptionally talented practitioner."
Securities Enforcement and Litigation Representative Matters
- Public companies in SEC and DOJ investigations involving financial reporting, restatements, disclosure, internal controls, insider trading, whistleblowers, and other issues
- Investment banks, broker-dealers, investment advisers, and hedge funds in SEC and FINRA investigations involving trading, products, practices, supervision, management, and a range of regulatory issues
- Big Four accounting firm in SEC and PCAOB investigations involving the audits and reviews of a variety of public companies
- International law firm in Comptroller of the Currency, SEC, Congressional, and foreign governmental investigations involving financial transactions
- Private equity firm in an SEC investigation involving insider trading
- Chief Executive Officer of a financial institution in SEC, DOJ, and state AG investigations involving derivative financial products
- Chief Financial Officer of a public company in SEC, DOJ, and internal investigations involving financial reporting, accounting, and disclosure issues
- Chairman of a public company in an SEC investigation involving insider trading
- Public companies and boards in conducting internal investigations involving potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other laws
- Appointed as the Independent Consultant to perform a review under the terms of a settlement between regulators and a global financial services firm
The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2016), selected for corporate law, securities litigation, and securities regulation
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2005-2015), ranked as a leading nationwide lawyer for securities regulation and enforcement
Washingtonian magazine (2009, 2011, and 2013), selected as one of the top lawyers in Washington DC for securities law
Martindale-Hubbell (2006-2015), received the highest peer review rating (AV Preeminent)
Also recognized and listed in Washington DC's Best Lawyers, Washington DC Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers, Guide to the World's Leading Corporate Governance Lawyers, Legal 500 USA, and Chambers USA (Corporate Crime & Investigations-Nationwide)