Ryan Nishimoto's practice focuses on complex litigation involving intellectual property and technology, and consumer protection laws, and unfair business practices.
Mr. Nishimoto has represented clients in protecting intellectual property in a wide range of technologies and industries, including media and entertainment, fashion and toys, medical devices, telecommunications, software development, e-commerce, and database management. The substantive areas of his intellectual property practice include copyright, patent, trademark, and trade secret.
Mr. Nishimoto regularly advises and defends clients regarding California’s Proposition 65 and consumer protection laws. His work in this area includes representing restaurants, amusement parks, and manufacturers and retailers of fashion accessories, snack foods, and dietary supplements.
Litigation Representative Matters
Intellectual Property & Technology
- Representing group of defendants in pending patent infringement actions alleging infringement of patent relating to searchable databases organized both geographically and topically.
- Representing telecommunications provider in defending against copyright infringement claims brought by software developer.
- Served as lead counsel in arbitration securing termination of licensing and non-compete agreement involving ventricular assist technology.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in bringing patent infringement action involving mammography technology. Obtained jury verdict of infringement.
- Represented luxury wristwatch manufacturer in bringing patent infringement claims challenging use of patented design elements.
- Represented music publishing company in copyright litigation regarding use of sound recordings and compositions on user generated content and social networking sites, including the extent of protection under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
- Represented Internet service provide in trade secrets misappropriation action.
- Representing amusement park in Proposition 65 litigation involving sufficiency of warnings relating to brass objects.
- Represented distributor of coin and currency products in consumer class actions alleging violations of the California Consumers Legal Remedies Act, unfair business practices, and RICO.
- Represented mail-order provider against class allegations of illegal wiretapping based on recordings of telephone calls placed by California residents.