Paul Alexander has 35 years of experience in civil trial work, including both civil jury and nonjury trials and arbitrations in commercial cases involving federal and state antitrust laws, unfair competition laws, patent laws, trade secret laws, fraud and contract matters, and cases alleging violations of consumer statutes and regulations. Mr. Alexander has successfully tried cases in both California superior courts, the federal district courts in California as well as in other jurisdictions. He has also successfully tried nonjury cases and obtained substantial awards in commercial arbitrations which have been enforced.
Mr. Alexander is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. In addition, he has co-authored Employee Business & Professional Defamation, published by Matthew Bender. Mr. Alexander was Editor of the Michigan Law Review.
- Agere Systems Inc. v. Atmel Corp. In the E.D. of Pennsylvania, won a complete defense verdict on behalf of Atmel in a federal jury trial involving semiconductor patents, in which the plaintiff sought over US$200 million as well as enhancement for claimed willful infringement.
- Northbrook v. Vendio Services, et al. In federal district court in Minnesota, successfully represented an Internet services company in the defense of a patent infringement action. The client's General Counsel reported this: "A patent troll/inventor brought a broad infringement action against our company based on five patents that related to much of our business. Paul Alexander and his talented team battled aggressively and successfully on our behalf. They reduced the claims in the suit, attacked claim construction on the most significant terms, and developed targeted expert testimony on both infringement, invalidity and damages. Paul also developed an alternative fee structure that met our needs and aligned our interests. I highly recommend Paul for aggressive, practical and cost-effective defense of patent litigation."
Commercial Litigation (2009-2020, 2022)
Insurance Law (2009-2020, 2022)
"San Jose Lawyer of the Year" – Insurance Law (2017)
Financial Services: Regulatory (2012)
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1971, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- AB, Westminster College, 1968, magna cum laude
- Signal Corps. Officer, US Army