David Barnes concentrates his practice on environmental litigation and enforcement matters and regulatory consulting, with a particular focus on toxic tort litigation hazardous waste requirements, and occupational health and safety. Mr. Barnes has extensive experience with California-specific environmental laws, including Proposition 65 and the California Cleaning Products Right to Know Act. He also advises businesses on occupational health and safety compliance and has defended businesses in occupational health and safety investigations. Mr. Barnes' litigation experience includes appearing in both federal and state courts and arguing a criminal sentencing hearing in the Northern District of California.
Mr. Barnes is a graduate of Stanford Law School, where he received the John Hart Ely Prize for Outstanding Performance in Mental Health Law and in Alchemy, Law, and Practice. While in law school, Mr. Barnes interned with the Yosemite National Park Legal Office, where he appeared in the Eastern District of California on behalf of the United States Government and litigated a federal criminal trial as lead prosecutor, obtaining a conviction that was ultimately upheld by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Dozens of clients ranging from food manufacturers to personal care companies concerning allegations that their products require Proposition 65 warnings.
- Large multinational conglomerate company in negotiations with California Department of Toxic Substances Control concerning groundwater contamination at multiple landfill sites.
- Multiple retailers in California District Attorney environmental enforcement actions.
- Large university in negotiations with California Department of Toxic Substances Control concerning California Hazardous Waste Control Law.
- Large university in advising on compliance with OSHA and Cal/OSHA regulations.
- Large multinational conglomerate company in Cal/OSHA investigation.
- Large university in negotiating settlement with the US EPA and California Department of Toxic Substances Control in CERCLA cost recovery action.
- JD, Stanford Law School, 2017
- BA, Kent State University, 2012, summa cum laude
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- Environmental Law Institute's Emerging Leader Initiative, Founding Steering Committee Member
- Vice President and Founding Member, Kent State University Bay Area Alumni Association
- Member, Law Day Planning Committee, Yosemite National Park