David Barnes concentrates his practice on environmental litigation and enforcement matters and regulatory consulting, with a particular focus on hazardous waste requirements, toxic tort litigation, and site remediation. He has worked closely with representatives of federal and state agencies to negotiate agreements on compliance, cost recovery, and remediation. Mr. Barnes' litigation experience includes appearing in both federal and state courts and arguing a criminal sentencing hearing in the Northern District of California.
Mr. Barnes is a graduate of Stanford Law School, where he received the John Hart Ely Prize for Outstanding Performance in Mental Health Law and in Alchemy, Law, and Practice. While in law school, Mr. Barnes interned with the Yosemite National Park Legal Office, where he appeared in the Eastern District of California on behalf of the United States Government and litigated a federal criminal trial as lead prosecutor, obtaining a conviction that was ultimately upheld by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Large multinational conglomerate company in negotiations with California Department of Toxic Substances Control concerning groundwater contamination at multiple landfill sites.
- Multiple retailers in California District Attorney environmental enforcement actions.
- Large university in negotiations with California Department of Toxic Substances Control concerning California Hazardous Waste Control Law.
- Large university in negotiating settlement with the U.S. EPA and California Department of Toxic Substances Control in CERCLA cost recovery action.
- Dozens of clients ranging from food manufacturers to personal care companies concerning allegations that their products require Proposition 65 warnings.
- JD, Stanford Law School, 2017
- BA, Kent State University, 2012, summa cum laude
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- Environmental Law Institute's Emerging Leader Initiative, Founding Steering Committee Member
- Vice President and Founding Member, Kent State University Bay Area Alumni Association
- Member, Law Day Planning Committee, Yosemite National Park