Michael Ben-Jacob focuses his practice on counseling high net-worth individuals, their families, family offices, and closely held business on an array of US-based and cross-border wealth planning and preservation matters. Mr. Ben-Jacob assists numerous international families and corporate fiduciaries with connections to Israel, the UK, Italy, France, Switzerland, Brazil, the US Virgin Islands, and numerous other jurisdictions in dealing with a host of strategic planning issues. These include US income and transfer tax issues, as well as trust and probate issues, arising from foreign investment in US real estate and other US situs assets, migration to and from the US, expatriation and asset protection planning, as well as tax compliance and reporting for US persons with investments outside the US, related voluntary disclosure proceedings with the IRS, and issues surrounding US persons with interests in foreign trusts.
In addition, Mr. Ben-Jacob has a strong US-based practice counseling high net-worth families in relation to transfer tax and intergenerational wealth preservation planning, including estate tax, gift tax, GST tax, charitable planning, and prenuptial agreements. In this context, Mr. Ben-Jacob focuses particularly on such planning for principals of private equity and hedge funds, and planning in the context of business liquidations and transitions. He also has substantial experience in estate administration and related Surrogate's Court proceedings.
- JD, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, cum laude
- MA, Queens College of The City University of New York, with distinction
- BA, Queens College of The City University of New York, cum laude
- New York
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, The Committee on Estate and Gift Taxation, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, New York State Bar Association