Emily Blackburn represents clients in a variety of antitrust and competition matters, with particular expertise in issues affecting clients in high-tech and network/platform industries. She is experienced in merger review and investigations, civil litigation, and business counseling. Ms. Blackburn regularly represents clients before the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission, state antitrust enforcers, and before federal courts in litigated merger challenges.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Blackburn worked in the FTC Bureau of Competition reviewing mergers a broad range of industries including health care, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, defense, scientific and industrial products, online advertising, technology, and consumer products. She has also worked as a management and economic consultant focused on competition, M&A, and intellectual property issues.
- Kongsberg Gruppen ASA (NO:KOG) in its sale of Hydroid, Inc., a leading supplier of small and autonomous underwater vessels, to Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) for $350 million.
- Thruline Marketing, a portfolio company of Oaktree Capital Management, in its sale of certain education technology assets to EducationDynamics.
- WheelsUp, a private aviation company, in obtaining DOJ clearance for its acquisition of Delta Private Jets.
- AT&T Inc. in its successful $85.4 billion stock-and-cash acquisition of Time Warner Inc. After a second request and the first vertical merger trial/appeal in decades, the transaction was approved with no finding of liability.
- Counsel to General Electric in the $11 billion merger of Wabtec and GE Transportation. After a second request investigation that focused on potential vertical theories, the transaction was permitted to proceed without any remedy.
- Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd. in the auto parts price-fixing multi-district civil litigation.
- Fortune 50 technology company on internal antitrust compliance issues.
- Global specialty pharmaceutical manufacturer in antitrust compliance issues.
- Private equity clients in counseling related to mergers and joint ventures.
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2012, cum laude
- BA, University of Pennsylvania, 2009, summa cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Staff Attorney, Bureau of Competition, Federal Trade Commission