Amy L. Bomse is a commercial litigator who focuses her practice principally on representing lawyers and law firms. She has defended lawyers and law firms against claims of malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud. She counsels law firms and corporations on compliance with legal ethics and risk management. She lectures frequently on legal ethics issues. She is currently serving as the Chair of the Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct, a standing committee member of the State Bar of California Board of Trustees focused on professional responsibility.
In addition to her lawyer-focused practice, Ms. Bomse represents clients in business disputes and has substantial trial experience. In 2017, she tried a breach of contract and negligence case in Lassen Superior Court on behalf of a geothermal power producer. In 2015 she defended electronics manufacturer PNY Technologies in a 3-week jury trial in San Mateo Superior Court in a license dispute.
Ms. Bomse also maintains an active pro bono practice. She is currently lead counsel in a RICO lawsuit brought by Planned Parenthood Federation of America against the Center for Medical Progress in the Northern District of California. In the past she represented homeless individuals in a civil rights lawsuit against the City of Fresno related to homeless encampment destruction. She is also active in the legal community as a member of the board of Legal Aid at Work and former member of the BASF Justice & Diversity Center.
In 2009, Ms. Bomse took four months out of her civil practice to sharpen her trial skills by serving as an Assistant District Attorney for the City and County of San Francisco. As an ADA, Ms. Bomse handled five jury trials including a two-week police misconduct trial.
- Successfully represented Planned Parenthood in a Ninth Circuit appeal concerning an anti-SLAPP decision. Planned Parenthood v. Center for Medical Progress, 890 F. 3d 828 (2018)
- Defense of a law firm in a malpractice lawsuit; case dismissed after the law firm filed a demurrer and Special Motion to Strike (2016)
- Successfully defended a law firm against a disqualification motion based upon attorney's initial consultation with adverse party (2015)
- Obtained summary judgment of negligence claims against law firm (2014)
- Defended law firm in a malpractice action tried at JAMS resulting in summary judgment for law firm and award of attorneys' fees (2013)
- Successfully defended law firm against objection to appointment of firm as counsel for official committee of unsecured creditors. In re Plant Insulation Co., 414 B.R. 646 (2009)
- Successfully reversed a US$300 million punitive damage award against Genentech. City of Hope v. Genentech, Inc., 43 Cal. 4th 375 (2008)
- Successful appeal to the Sixth District Court of Appeal of an unfair settlement. Terry v. Conlan, 131 Cal. App. 4th 1445 (2005)
- JD, Duke University School of Law, 2001
- MA, Duke University, 2001
- BA, Yale University, 1989, magna cum laude
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- Chair, California State Bar Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct
- Board Member, Legal Aid At Work
- Former Board Member, Justice & Diversity Center, The Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, State Bar of California