John Busillo concentrates his practice on commercial real estate finance and the workout and disposition of distressed real estate. He has advised major financial institutions, commercial and investment banks, insurance companies, public sector entities, real estate investment trusts, and real estate developers in numerous sophisticated transactions involving office buildings, regional shopping centers, hotels, resorts, multifamily residential complexes, mixed-use projects, healthcare-related projects, single-tenant retail sites, warehouse and industrial sites, and commercial and residential condominium and cooperative projects.
Mr. Busillo has extensive experience in the origination, restructuring, and workout of commercial mortgage and mezzanine loans and the sale and purchase (and foreclosure) of those loans. He has particular experience with the origination, restructuring, workout, and sale and purchase of commercial mortgage loans headed for securitization or previously securitized, as well as insurance company portfolio lending. This includes substantial experience in credit lease-backed financings, mezzanine financings, mezzanine and junior note sales and purchases, senior/subordinate note and participation structures, construction loans, cell tower and timber financings and other infrastructure financings, Shariah financings, and franchise loans.
Mr. Busillo maintains an active pro bono practice, including the representation of The Robin Hood Foundation and its numerous grantees in connection with real estate matters for more than 25 years.
- Banks, investment banks, and insurance companies in connection with numerous construction, bridge, and mortgage and mezzanine financings for residential and commercial developments in the US and Mexico, including a US$1.3 billion office portfolio mortgage and mezzanine loan, a US$500 million luxury resort mortgage financing, and the mortgage financing of the fee interest in The Chrysler Building in New York City.
- Sellers and purchasers of loans in connection with various residential and commercial mortgage and mezzanine financings in the US and Mexico.
- Insurance companies and originators in connection with the issuance of warehouse/repo facilities to borrowers/sellers originating commercial mortgage loans.
- Financial institutions and insurance companies in connection with the workout, restructuring, and foreclosure of mortgage and mezzanine loans regarding commercial developments.
- Lenders in connection with the sale of loans into commercial mortgage loan securitization vehicles.
- Insurance companies and private equity funds in connection with joint venture purchases, convertible mortgage financings, and acquisition of properties.
- Commercial landlords and tenants in leasing negotiations.
- JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1984
- BS, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, 1981, magna cum laude
- New Jersey
- New York
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Finance Committee Member, Real Estate Board of New York