Laura Butte focuses on complex commercial litigation, antitrust litigation, multijurisdictional class actions, and securities compliance, enforcement and litigation.
Ms. Butte represents companies in a broad range of matters in federal and state courts including antitrust, class actions, unjust enrichment, and fraud matters. She manages all aspects of litigation including drafting discovery and dispositive motions, preparing and deposing witnesses, working with experts, preparing for trial, preparing for arguments before courts of appeal, supervising team members, and managing all aspects of e-discovery.
Ms. Butte also represents clients in investigations conducted by the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and US Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and antitrust laws. Her experience in this area includes supervising various aspects of internal investigations including coordinating with counsel for individuals and assisting with multinational compliance efforts.
Ms. Butte graduated summa cum laude from Tulane Law School in 2004 where she was a member of the Tulane Law Review. Upon graduation, Ms. Butte was elected to the Order of the Coif and was awarded the Faculty Medal for graduating first in her class.
- In re Payment Card Interchange Fee & Merchant Discount Antitrust Litigation. Represent Visa in federal antitrust class action and related litigations challenging setting of interchange fees, merchant discounts, and other practices.
- Represent a global oil and gas company in defending claims filed under a multi-district class action settlement.
- Represent a domestic bank in a putative federal class action concerning overdraft fees.
- Assist in defending a public company in multiple class actions alleging consumer fraud claims.
- Assist in defending a multinational company in litigation brought under the Alien Tort Statute for alleged violations of international law.
- American Express v.Visa USA Inc., et al.; Discover v. Visa USA Inc., et al. Represent Visa in federal antitrust action asserting injury from loyalty rules of Visa and MasterCard.
- AAA Antiques Mall, Inc. v. Visa USA Inc., et al. Represent Visa in a putative state class action alleging unjust enrichment and fraud. Obtained summary judgment on all alleged claims.
- United States v.Visa USA. Inc., et al. Represent Visa in a trial challenging Visa fees to be paid if banks related to their debit business.
- Assist the trial team in an action brought against a Maryland-based "mail order bride" company, resulting in a jury verdict awarding compensatory and punitive damages.
- Assist with successfully mediating a settlement with the DOJ in an action alleging Title VII discrimination and retaliation claims.
- JD, Tulane University Law School, 2004, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- BA, James Madison University, 1998, cum laude
- District of Columbia