Rebecca Caruso's practice focuses on representing individuals, banks, and other financial services companies in compliance, enforcement actions, internal investigations, complex litigation, and criminal prosecution matters. She also provides counsel on Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering requirements and compliance. Ms. Caruso has broad experience in the investigation process for both criminal and civil matters and has represented clients under investigation or facing prosecution by the FDIC, NYDFS, DOJ, and other government agencies.
Ms. Caruso has experience in all stages of federal court litigation, including motions, discovery, trial, and appeal. Ms. Caruso maintains an active pro bono practice at the trial and appellate stages, especially in the criminal justice arena.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Caruso was a federal prosecutor focused on international money laundering investigations, including kleptocracy and national security prosecutions, with experience in both civil and criminal matters. She conducted numerous international financial investigations, litigated complex money laundering and forfeiture issues, and participated in plea and settlement negotiations.
Ms. Caruso recently clerked for the Honorable James P. Jones of the Western District of Virginia (2019–2020) and the Honorable J. Clifford Wallace of the Ninth Circuit (2020–2021).
- Commercial entity in conducting internal investigations into the audit of internal controls and misstatements to the external auditor.
- Financial institution in complying with subpoena requests from DOJ relating to suspected bank fraud and money laundering by former bank clients.
- Financial institution in an investigation brought by the NYDFS and the FDIC under the Bank Secrecy Act.
- Major national accounting firm in an internal review of auditor independence requirements and compliance.
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 2016
- BA, Political Science with concentrations in International Relations & Public Policy, Minor in History, University of Florida, 2013, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- US District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Trial Attorney, US Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Money Laundering & Asset Recovery Section
- Special Assistant US Attorney, US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Virginia
- Special Assistant US Attorney, US Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia
- US District Court, Western District of Virginia, The Honorable James P. Jones
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, The Honorable J. Clifford Wallace