Jimmy Chen represents clients in transactions and other commercial matters related to intellectual property, media and technology. He assists clients in drafting and negotiating agreements involving technology transfers, licensing, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, manufacturing and distribution, strategic alliances and co-development projects. Mr. Chen has counseled clients in a broad range of industries, including software, manufacturing, energy, textiles, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, gaming, entertainment, and media.
Mr. Chen has particular experience in cross-border transactions, especially those involving China. Prior to joining Arnold & Porter, Mr. Chen was foreign legal counsel with a leading Asian law firm in Shanghai where he represented Chinese and international clients in investments and other transactions throughout the Asia-Pacific region. In addition, Mr. Chen is highly conversant in Mandarin Chinese.
During law school, Mr. Chen served on the staff of the Interdisciplinary Law Journal and was a Student Supervisor in the USC Intellectual Property and Technology Law Clinic, where he advised the government of a developing country on copyright policy and worked closely with documentary filmmakers on fair use matters.
- Chinese state-owned entity in connection with a multi-billion dollar joint venture with a leading American film studio for the design, development, and management of a world-class theme park and resort in China.
- Clean energy company in connection with its joint ventures and technology transfers in China.
- Multinational chemicals company in connection with numerous manufacturing, licensing, and distribution agreements, as well as a variety of other commercial matters.
- Global private equity firm on patent, trademark, and other intellectual property matters in connection with its acquisition of a medical device business valued at over US$500 million.
- JD, University of Southern California Gould School of Law, 2012
- BA, University of California, Davis, 2009