Doug Curtis is a seasoned and accomplished trial lawyer who brings both an in-house and a private practice perspective to every client and every representation.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Curtis was Deputy General Counsel at WeWork, a global shared workspace company, where he oversaw litigation, employment, compliance, and legal operations. From 1998 to 2003, he worked at Reuters Group PLC, where he became Executive Vice President, Global Head of Ethics and Compliance following posts as Regional General Counsel for Continental Europe, Middle East and Africa, and as Director of Litigation in the Americas.
Mr. Curtis has spent more than 20 years in private practice. Over the course of his career, he has successfully tried 15 cases to final judgment (seven as first chair), including: an international electronics company in litigation against a Chinese manufacturer for breach of a licensing agreement; a financial institution in numerous FINRA arbitration proceedings; a satellite company in a breach of contract action against a media company arising from the termination of a joint venture agreement; and a software service company in an action arising from an earn-out provision in a corporate acquisition. On a pro bono basis, Mr. Curtis was part of the team that obtained the landmark Supreme Court decision on behalf of six Guantanamo detainees in Boumediene v. Bush.
Mr. Curtis earned his JD, magna cum laude, from Harvard Law School, where he was Treasurer of the Harvard Law Review and received the Sears Prize. Mr. Curtis received his AB from Harvard College, magna cum laude. Additionally, he clerked for the Honorable Patricia M. Wald of the United States Court of Appeals, DC Circuit. Prior to law school, he was a Rotary Foundation Scholar in Paris, France.
- JD, Harvard Law School, magna cum laude
- BA, Harvard College, magna cum laude
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, The Honorable Patricia M. Wald
- Current Vice Chair and Board Member, National Center for Law and Economic Justice
- Current Vice Chair, Treasurer, and Finance Committee Chair, The Legal Aid Society of New York
- Former Chair (2011-2018), Current Board Member, Elevator Repair Service (New York-based theater company)