Jerry Falk is a retired partner whose litigation practice included substantial cases in the fields of securities, antitrust, contracts, real property sales and financing, insurance coverage, professional liability, environmental, intellectual property and constitutional law.
Representative clients in appellate matters have included Autodesk, The Irvine Company, McKesson Corporation, Genentech, Inc., Toshiba, Inc., University of California, Citicorp Real Estate, Inc., Alcatel, City and County of San Francisco, The Oakland Raiders and the State of California. According to Judicial Council statistics for 2014, civil appeals resulted in reversals in only 18% of the cases decided. But in appeals handled by Mr. Falk on behalf of an appellant challenging the judgment, the judgment was reversed or significantly reduced in 71% of the cases. And in appeals in which Mr. Falk represented a respondent defending the judgment, the judgment was only reversed in 13% of the cases.
He has been a frequent lecturer on continuing legal education programs for C.E.B., ALI-ABA, California Judges Association, The Rutter Group, Hastings College of Advocacy, Practicing Law Institute, the Association of Business Trial Lawyers and other educational organizations on various topics including trial advocacy, appellate advocacy, constitutional law, writ practice and the law of evidence.
From 1968 to 1978, he taught constitutional law courses at the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law.
- JD, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 1965, Order of the Coif
- AB, Economics, University of California, Berkeley, 1962, with honors
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, District of Arizona
- US District Court for the State of Texas
- US District Court, Northern Mariana Islands
- Supreme Court of the United States, The Honorable William O. Douglas
Bar Association of San Francisco, President, 1985
Association of Business Trial Lawyers of Northern California, President, 1993-1994
California Academy of Appellate Lawyers, President, 1994-1995
Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, Lawyer representative,1983-1985
Ninth Circuit Committee on Judicial Evaluation, Member, 1980
Berkeley Law Alumni Association, Former president
KQED, Inc., Chair of the Board of Directors, 1999-2001