With more than 30 years experience, Dr. Gottfried Freier has a particular focus in the pharmaceutical, biotech and medtech sectors. His clients range from small start-up enterprises up to large multinational companies, in which he advises on technology transactions, including licensing and cooperation agreements, mergers and acquisitions, transfer of product rights, research, development, and commercialization agreements (such as co-promotion and co-marketing), as well as contract research and development, clinical trial arrangements, and contract manufacturing.
Before entering private practice in 2001, Dr. Freier was in-house counsel with BASF in the Patent, Central Legal and Group Tax Departments, later becoming General Counsel of BASF Pharma, with worldwide responsibility.
He has written articles on topics such as intellectual property, corporate/M&A and biotechnology.
- 4SC (Germany): out-licensing to/R&D collaboration with BioNTech AG.
- 4SC (Germany): acquisition of oncology portfolio (asset deal) from Nycomed GmbH.
- Activaero (Germany), a therapeutic area specialist: developing, among other things, cutting-edge solutions for patients suffering from severe respiratory disorders, on an undisclosed partnership in pulmonary hypertension.
- Activaero shareholders: (exit) sale of their shares to Vectura plc, a UK listed (LSE) company focused on therapies for airways related diseases, for a total of EUR 130 million.
- Laxxon Medical GmbH: financing round and shareholders' agreement with Thüringer Stiftung Beteiligungskapital.
- Miltenyi: strategic cell and gene therapy collaboration with GSK.
- Protagen: cooperation with Pfizer and Qiagen re development of companion diagnostics.
- Rentschler (Germany): strategic investment in CellCA GmbH.
- Santhera, a public Swiss specialty pharmaceutical company: various out-licensing agreements with Takeda regarding Idebenone.
- Sequenom, a US genomic and genetic test provider for research and diagnostic markets: out-licensing of prenatal diagnosis testing technology to LifeCodeXX, Germany.
- TRON GmbH: various collaboration agreements.
Pharmaceuticals Law (2019)
- Second State Exam, Rhineland-Palatinate, 1985, magna cum laude
- First State Exam, Johannes Gutenberg-University at Mainz, 1981
- German Attorney, authorized to represent before all German Courts (except for the Federal Court of Justice in civil matters) and before the courts of the European Union.
- Member, Licensing Executive Society (LES)
- Member, BioDeutschland e.V., Working Group Finance and Taxes