With more than 30 years experience, Dr. Gottfried Freier has a particular focus in the pharmaceutical, biotech and medtech sectors. His clients range from small start-up enterprises up to large multinational companies, in which he advises on technology transactions, including licensing and cooperation agreements, mergers and acquisitions, transfer of product rights, research, development, and commercialization agreements (such as co-promotion and co-marketing), as well as contract research and development, clinical trial arrangements, and contract manufacturing.
Before entering private practice in 2001, Dr. Freier was in-house counsel with BASF in the Patent, Central Legal and Group Tax Departments, later becoming General Counsel of BASF Pharma, with worldwide responsibility.
He has written on intellectual property, corporate/M&A and biotechnology topics.
- 4SC (Germany) in out-licensing to/R&D collaboration with BionNTech AG.
- 4SC (Germany) in the acquisition of oncology portfolio (asset deal) from Nycomed GmbH.
- 4SC (Germany) in the acquisition project relating to proposed assets purchase from an insolvent US company by a German biotech company.
- Activaero (Germany), a therapeutic area specialist developing, among other things, cutting-edge solutions for patients suffering from severe respiratory disorders, on an undisclosed partnership in pulmonary hypertension.
- Activaero shareholders in the (exit) sale of their shares to Vectura plc, a UK listed (LSE) company focused on therapies for airways related diseases, for a total of €130 million.
- Miltenyi in its strategic cell and gene therapy collaboration with GSK.
- Nexigen in collaboration agreements with BioNTech and 4SC, among others.
- Protagen in cooperation with Pfizer and Qiagen re development of companion diagnostics.
- Rentschler (Germany) on their divestiture of its pharmaceutical business to Medice.
- Rentschler (Germany) on their strategic investment in CellCA GmbH.
- Santhera, a public Swiss specialty pharmaceutical company in various out-licensing agreements with Takeda regarding Idebenone.
- Sequenom, a US genomic and genetic test provider for research and diagnostic markets, in the out-licensing of prenatal diagnosis testing technology to LifeCodeXX, Germany.
- TRON GmbH on various collaboration agreements.
Pharmaceuticals Law (2019)
- University of Mainz, 1987, magna cum laude
- First German State Exam, Johannes Gutenberg-University at Mainz, 1981
- German Attorney, authorized to represent before all German Courts (except for the Federal Court of Justice in civil matters) and before the courts of the European Union.
Member, Licensing Executive Society (LES)
Member, BioDeutschland e.V. Working Group Finance and Taxes