Athanasia Gavala advises clients on European Union and international competition law matters. Her work focuses on antitrust aspects of mergers and acquisitions, cartel investigations, and antitrust compliance. Ms Gavala has represented clients across a range of industries including power generation equipment, agrochemicals, media and entertainment, agricultural commodity trading, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, automotive parts, electronics, fast-moving consumer goods, insurance, and the banking sector.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Gavala represented before the EU Commission General Electric in its landmark acquisition of Alstom Power & Grid business, and DuPont in its merger with Dow.
- AT&T/Time Warner: Represented AT&T in merger control filings before the EU Commission and antitrust authorities worldwide for its $85.4 billion acquisition of Time Warner (now WarnerMedia). Advised AT&T on design and implementation of remedy compliance programme for international jurisdictions.
- Pfizer in relation to its joint venture with GSK to combine the two companies’ consumer healthcare businesses worldwide, securing merger control clearances outside the US.
- Prior to joining Arnold & Porter, Ms. Gavala acted for Disney in the EU and international merger control filings for its acquisition of Lucasfilm.
- Advised Nokia on the $7.1 billion sale of its devices and services business to Microsoft.
- She also handled a number of merger control filings for mergers in the life sciences sector, including in Watson Pharmaceuticals/Actavis and Valeant Pharmaceuticals International/Bausch & Lomb.
- LLM, Corporation Law, New York University School of Law, 2011, Dean’s Graduate Award
- LLM, Commercial Law, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Law, 2009, summa cum laude
- LLB, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Law, 2006, magna cum laude
- Athens, Greece
- New York
- Brussels, Belgium (E-list)