Athanasia Gavala advises clients on European Union and international competition law matters. Her work focuses on antitrust aspects of mergers and acquisitions, cartel investigations, and antitrust compliance. Ms Gavala has represented clients across a range of industries including power generation equipment, agrochemicals, media and entertainment, agricultural commodity trading, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, automotive parts, electronics, fast-moving consumer goods, insurance, and the banking sector. She recently represented General Electric in its landmark acquisition of Alstom Power & Grid business and DuPont in its merger with Dow before the EU Commission.
- AT&T/Time Warner: Represented AT&T in merger control filings before the EU Commission and antitrust authorities worldwide for its US$ 85.4 billion acquisition of Time Warner (now WarnerMedia). Advises AT&T on design and implementation of remedy compliance programme for international jurisdictions.
- Advised major pharmaceutical client on the merger control aspects of a potential sale of its OTC business.
- In her previous position, Ms Gavala handled a number of merger control filings for mergers in the life sciences sector, including in Watson Pharmaceuticals/Actavis and Valeant Pharmaceuticals International/Bausch & Lomb.
- LLM, Corporation Law, New York University School of Law, 2011, Dean’s Graduate Award
- LLM, Commercial Law, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Law, 2009, summa cum laude
- LLB, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Law, 2006, magna cum laude
- Athens, Greece
- New York
- Brussels, Belgium (E-list)