Athanasia Gavala advises clients on European Union and international competition law matters. Her work focuses on antitrust aspects of mergers and acquisitions, cartel investigations, and antitrust compliance. Ms Gavala has represented clients across a range of industries including pharmaceuticals and medical devices, media and entertainment, power generation equipment, agrochemicals, agricultural commodity trading, automotive parts, electronics, fast-moving consumer goods, insurance, and the banking sector.
Prior to joining Arnold & Porter, Ms. Gavala represented before the EU Commission General Electric in its landmark acquisition of Alstom Power & Grid business, and DuPont in its merger with Dow.
- Pfizer in relation to the spin-off and combination with Mylan NV of Pfizer's established medicines division Upjohn.
- Pfizer in relation to its joint venture with GSK to combine the two companies' consumer healthcare businesses worldwide, securing merger control clearances from the EU Commission and antitrust authorities outside the US.
- AT&T/Time Warner: Represented AT&T in merger control filings before the EU Commission and antitrust authorities worldwide for its US$ 85.4 billion acquisition of Time Warner (now WarnerMedia). Advised AT&T on the design and implementation of the remedy compliance program for international jurisdictions.
- Prior to joining Arnold & Porter, Ms. Gavala acted for The Walt Disney Company in the EU and international merger control filings for its acquisition of Lucasfilm.
- Advised Nokia on the US$ 7.1 billion sale of its devices and services business to Microsoft.
- Acted for Alpha Bank in its merger with EFG Eurobank in relation to merger control approvals before a number of European antitrust authorities.
- She also handled a number of filings for mergers in the life sciences sector, including in Watson Pharmaceuticals/Actavis and Valeant Pharmaceuticals International/Bausch & Lomb.
- LLM, Corporation Law, New York University School of Law, 2011, Dean’s Graduate Award
- LLM, Commercial Law, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Law, 2009, summa cum laude
- LLB, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Law, 2006, magna cum laude
- Athens, Greece
- New York
- Brussels, Belgium (E-list)