Gaela Gehring Flores concentrates her practice on international arbitration and litigation matters. She represents both multinational corporations and sovereign states in international commercial and investment arbitrations before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) International Court of Arbitration, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR/AAA), and in litigation and appellate proceedings before US federal courts. She advises clients in a broad range of disputes, including energy, natural resources, construction, hospitality, transportation, sovereign debt instruments, government contracts, and intellectual property. Ms. Gehring Flores also provides legal services to private sector and sovereign clients on enforcement of arbitral awards, effective contractual dispute resolution clauses, and a variety of public international law issues, including foreign sovereign immunity and discovery in international proceedings. Ms. Gehring Flores' practice capitalizes on her broad experience and her native Spanish skills and bicultural background.
Ms. Gehring Flores serves as Co-Chair of the District of Columbia Bar International Dispute Resolution Committee, and has been recognized as one of the American Lawyer's "Top 45 under 45" Top Women Lawyers in the Am Law 200, a leading practitioner of international arbitration in publications such as Chambers USA, Chambers Global, Chambers Latin America, The Legal 500, Global Arbitration Review, Latin Lawyer 250, and Euromoney, among others.
Ms. Gehring Flores is committed to pro bono service, particularly to the immigrant and undocumented community.
While a student at the Georgetown University Law Center, Ms. Gehring Flores served as Managing Articles Editor of The Georgetown Law Journal.
Ms. Gehring Flores was quoted in "TPP Made Public at Last," Global Arbitration Review, 5 November 2015.
- Transglobal Green Energy, LLC and Transglobal Green Energy de Panama, S.A. v. Republic of Panama (ICSID arbitration): Counsel to the Republic of Panama; claim involving a hydro-electric power plant project under the US-Panama bilateral investment treaty.
- Mercer International, Inc. v. Canada (ICSID Additional Facility arbitration): Counsel to Claimant; claim for more than US$250 million involving energy generation assets and pulp mill operations under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
- Victor Pey Casado and Fundación Presidente Allende v. Republic of Chile (ICSID arbitration): Counsel to the Republic of Chile; claim for US$797 million under Spain-Chile bilateral investment treaty.
- Vannessa Ventures v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID Additional Facility arbitration): Counsel to the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela; claim of US$1.2 billion under Canada-Venezuela bilateral investment treaty.
- I&I Beheer v. Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela (ICSID arbitration): Counsel to the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela; claim for US$300 million under Netherlands-Venezuela bilateral investment treaty.
- RDC v. Guatemala (ICSID arbitration): Counsel to the Republic of Guatemala; claim of US$20 million under the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA).
- EDF International and Electricidad Argentina S.A. v. Argentine Republic (ICSID Arbitration): Counsel to Claimants; claim for US$1.2 billion under France-Argentina bilateral investment treaty.
- EDF International, SAUR International, and León Participaciones Argentinas, S.A. v. Argentine Republic (ICSID Arbitration): Counsel to Claimants; claim for US$260 million under France-Argentina and Luxembourg-Argentina bilateral investment treaties.
- Compañía General de Electricidad (CGE) v. Argentine Republic (ICSID Arbitration): Counsel to Claimants; claim for US$125 million under Chile-Argentina bilateral investment treaty.
- Sociedad Anónima Eduardo Vieira v. Republic of Chile (ICSID arbitration): Counsel to the Republic of Chile; claim for US$25 million under Spain-Chile bilateral investment treaty.
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 1996, cum laude
- BA, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1993, summa cum laude
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US District Court, District of Columbia, The Honorable Paul L. Friedman
- Member, American Society of International Law
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Women's Bar Association
- Board Member, Hispanic Bar Association for the District of Columbia
- Appointed Member, District of Columbia Bar Pro Bono Program Committee
- Appointed Member, DC Circuit Judicial Conference Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services