Peter Gioello focuses on both environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) and environmental, health and safety (EHS) risks, issues and liabilities, including in the context of complex corporate transactions. As a member of the ESG Working Group, he partners with firm attorneys and practice groups in relevant areas to provide clients with unparalleled skill and experience in emerging ESG issues such as sustainability reporting and disclosure, impact investing, securities enforcement and shareholder litigation, ESG litigation, ESG due diligence, environmental justice, climate change mitigation and adaptation, biodiversity, product stewardship, supply-chain audits, human rights, diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), cybersecurity, consumer safety and protection, corporate citizenship and stewardship, corporate governance, animal welfare, and anti-corruption and fraud.
- Multiple clients in ESG and EHS due diligence on corporate transactions including drafting and verification of ESG disclosure language and negotiation of EHS and ESG provisions in acquisition agreements.
- Multiple clients as lead ESG attorney on multiple ESG financing deals, including green bonds and sustainability-linked bonds
- Multiple clients advising clients on product stewardship risks and liabilities, including compliance with the Federal Trade Commission Green Guides.
Associate to Watch (2017–2020)
- JD, Brooklyn Law School, 2008
- BA, Drew University, 2005, cum laude
- Certificate, Sustainable Capitalism and ESG, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2022
- New York
- Member, New York Bar
- Secretary (2022–2023), American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy and Resources (SEER); past-chair, Special Committee on Outreach; served three-year term on SEER Council, member, Special Committee on Diversity Equity, Inclusion and Belonging; liaison between ABA SEER and various LGBT organizations; former chair/vice-chair, Environmental Disclosure Committee
- Board member, Adirondack North Country Gender Alliance
- Planning Committee member, 2017–2019 Sustainability Investment Leadership Conference; organized and facilitated Diversity, Equity and Inclusion discussion
- Former board member, New York City Chapter of the New York League of Conservation Voters
- Former board member, New York City Bar Association Environmental Law committee (three-year term)