Neil Goodman practices primarily in the areas of corporate, securities, and international financial transactions. His practice includes the representation of foreign, public, and private clients and multinational financial institutions as both borrowers and lenders in connection with US and international debt and equity transactions, including capital markets offerings, and private placements, and syndicated and trade finance lending operations, and project financings. Mr. Goodman has been involved in a number of complex out-of-court debt restructurings, including several of the largest sovereign debt restructurings, where he represented the Ministries of Finance and Central Banks of Venezuela, Brazil, and Panama. In addition, Mr. Goodman maintains an active domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions practice.
Mr. Goodman also has considerable experience in both in-court and out-of-court debt restructurings and other financial workout matters, including the representation of debtors and creditors in a number of large Chapter 11 proceedings. Mr. Goodman's extensive experience in corporate transactions and the securities laws has proven invaluable to debtors, creditors, investors, and other parties in large and complex Chapter 11 reorganizations.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Goodman served as a clerk for Judge Frank J. Battisti of the US District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
- Grupo Energía Bogotá, as borrower, in connection with $749 million senior unsecured credit facility with a syndicate of international banks and related redemption of GEB's senior notes due 2021.
- The Republic of El Salvador, as borrower, in connection with a $97 million bridge loan.
- New York-based hedge fund, as lender, in connection with a $215 million secured loan to Empresas ICA and assistance to client as creditor in connection with ICA's insolvency proceedings in Mexico.
- Lender in financing facility for the construction and leasing of residential solar electric systems secured by state tax credits.
- Petroleos de Venezuela, S.A., as borrower, in connection with $1.5 billion structured financing and petroleum offtake facility with Japan Bank for International Cooperation, Nippon Export and Investment Insurance (NEXI), Insurance, Itochu Corporation, and Mitsubishi Corporation.
- Petroleos de Venezuela, S.A., as borrower, in connection with the acquisition and secured financing of four AFRAMAX oil tankers with funding provided by Japan Bank for International Cooperation.
"Foreign Expert" – Capital Markets: Debt & Equity (USA) (2013-2017)
Capital Markets (2012-2019, 2021)
"Notable Practitioner" – M&A (US) (2019-2021)
- JD, Columbia Law School, 1983
- AB, Brown University, 1979
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, Northern District of Ohio, The Honorable Frank J. Battisti