Allyson Himelfarb's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and multijurisdictional class actions. Ms. Himelfarb's particular focus is on assisting businesses in the retail, healthcare, and technology sectors that have experienced data breaches, typically through defending consumer class action litigation.
In addition to working on complex business litigation, Ms. Himelfarb provides counseling on regulatory issues for clients in the consumer products sector, focusing on Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulation and enforcement.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Himelfarb was with the FTC for more than nine years as an investigator in the Bureau of Consumer Protection where she served as the principal investigator on dozens of FTC enforcement actions and worked on rulemakings and enforcement proceedings under the Telemarketing Sales Rule, the CAN-SPAM Act, and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, among others.
- Brooks Brothers in obtaining dismissal of class action data breach claims involving alleged theft of payment card information. Ables v. Brooks Brothers Group (C.D. Cal. 2017).
- Global travel and tourism technology company in securing dismissal of data breach claims concerning unauthorized access to payment card information through a hotel reservation system (2017).
- Barnes & Noble, as lead litigation associate, in data breach class action lawsuits involving alleged theft of payment card information, resulting in dismissal of case.
- SAIC in obtaining dismissal of data breach class action lawsuits against defense contractor involving theft of data tape containing health care records. In re Science Applications Int'l Corp. Backup Data Tape Theft Litig., 45 F. Supp. 3d 14 (D.D.C. 2014).
- Adobe Systems, Inc. in successful resolution of data breach class action lawsuits against leading digital marketing and media solutions company concerning network intrusion and possible theft of customer information. See In re Adobe Systems, Inc., 2014 WL 4379916 (N.D. Cal. Sept. 4, 2014).
- Honeywell, currently defending federal class action and numerous other toxic tort suits related to groundwater contamination in New York.
- Honeywell in class action property damage lawsuit in New Jersey.
- JD, The George Washington University Law School, 2010, with honors
- BA, Washington University in St. Louis, 2001, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US District Court, District of Maryland
- US District Court, Northern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit