Daniel Jacobson focuses his practice on complex civil litigation, voting rights litigation, and privacy and data security matters. Mr. Jacobson has litigated a wide range of federal and state constitutional challenges, and has briefed cases and offered strategic counseling on a host of cybersecurity, privacy, and other technology related issues. In his voting rights work, Mr. Jacobson served as one of the leaders of the landmark gerrymandering cases in Pennsylvania and North Carolina that resulted in state courts striking down partisan gerrymanders under their state constitutions. Mr. Jacobson also played a key role in the successful challenge to the proposed addition of a citizenship question to the Decennial Census, which culminated in a Supreme Court victory in June 2019.
Before rejoining the firm in 2017, Mr. Jacobson served as an Associate Counsel in the White House Counsel's Office under President Barack Obama. In that role, Mr. Jacobson served as the primary legal counsel to the White House information technology and digital strategy offices, advising staff on legal issues relating to privacy, network defense, intellectual property, the adoption of cloud-based tools, and the first-ever transition of social media assets across administrations. Mr. Jacobson also provided legal guidance to White House policy offices on public-private partnerships relating to cybersecurity, open data, and broadband connectivity, and he advised White House staff on general ethics and compliance matters.
Mr. Jacobson serves as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center, where he teaches a course on the Litigation of Politics. Mr. Jacobson previously served as a law clerk to the Hon. A. Wallace Tashima on the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and to the Hon. Naomi Reice Buchwald on the US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Smartphone manufacturer in consumer class actions in California, New York, and Pennsylvania relating to alleged product defects.
- Media organization providing legal support to government contractor accused of leaking classified information on hacking of electoral systems.
- One of nation's largest cable companies in patent litigation concerning VoIP technology.
- Headset manufacturer in successful Third Circuit appeal remanding for new trial based on opposing party's spoliation of emails.
- Largest US steel producer in successful Fifth Circuit appeal reversing $150-million verdict in antitrust matter.
- Plaintiffs in successful gerrymandering challenges to North Carolina state legislative districts and congressional districts before North Carolina state courts,
- Plaintiffs in successful gerrymandering challenge to Pennsylvania's congressional districts before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
- Non-profit organizations in successful challenge to proposed addition of citizenship question to the Decennial Census.
- United States House of Representatives in lawsuit brought by former Deputy National Security Advisor relating to House subpoena in impeachment inquiry.
- Non-profit organization in lead lawsuit against the Presidential Commission on Election Integrity under the Federal Advisory Committee Act.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2011, magna cum laude
- BA, Economics, Yale College, 2006, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Associate Counsel, Office of the White House Counsel (2015-2017)
- US District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Naomi Reice Buchwald
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, The Honorable A. Wallace Tashima