Daniel Jacobson focuses his practice on appellate and complex civil litigation, as well as privacy and data security matters. Mr. Jacobson has litigated a wide range of constitutional challenges, particularly under the First Amendment, and has briefed cases and offered strategic counseling on a host of cybersecurity, privacy, and other technology related issues. Mr. Jacobson also maintains an active pro bono practice focused on voting rights litigation. He served as one of the leaders of the landmark gerrymandering challenge to Pennsylvania's congressional districts, which resulted in the implementation of a new congressional map for the 2018 elections.
Before rejoining the firm in 2017, Mr. Jacobson served as an Associate Counsel in the White House Counsel's Office under President Barack Obama. In that role, Mr. Jacobson served as the primary legal counsel to the White House information technology and digital strategy offices, advising staff on legal issues relating to privacy, network defense, intellectual property, the adoption of cloud-based tools, and the first-ever transition of social media assets across administrations. Mr. Jacobson also provided legal guidance to White House policy offices on public-private partnerships relating to cybersecurity, open data, and broadband connectivity, and he advised White House staff on general ethics and compliance matters.
- Smartphone manufacturer in consumer class actions in California, New York, and Pennsylvania relating to alleged product defect.
- Media organization providing legal support to government contractor accused of leaking classified document regarding hacking of electoral systems.
- One of nation's largest cable companies in patent litigation concerning VoIP technology.
- Fortune 200 company in successful state supreme court appeal vacating $10 billion verdict for alleged false advertising.
- Largest US steel producer in successful Fifth Circuit appeal reversing $150-million verdict in antitrust matter.
- Plaintiffs in successful gerrymandering challenge to Pennsylvania's congressional districts before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
- Non-profit organization in lead lawsuit against the Presidential Committee on Election Integrity under the Federal Advisory Commission Act.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2011, magna cum laude
- BA, Economics, Yale College, 2006, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Associate Counsel, Office of the White House Counsel (2015-2017)
- US District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Naomi Reice Buchwald
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, The Honorable A. Wallace Tashima