Caroline Kelly's practice focuses on international dispute resolution, including representing sovereign States in investment treaty arbitrations and multinational corporations in international commercial arbitrations. Ms. Kelly has experience representing clients in arbitrations before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) International Court of Arbitration, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (AAA/ICDR), and under the UNCITRAL Rules. In addition to her dispute resolution practice, Ms. Kelly has experience representing sovereign States in treaty negotiations and advising clients on a range of international legal matters, including treaty interpretation and diplomatic relations. She also has experience in domestic litigation and maintains an active pro bono practice, with a particular focus on immigrants’ rights.
Ms. Kelly graduated magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center where she was a Global Law Scholar and served as executive editor for the Georgetown Journal of International Law. Upon graduation, Ms. Kelly was elected to the Order of the Coif. During law school, Ms. Kelly interned at the Office of International Affairs within the Criminal Division of the US Department of Justice and represented an individual in asylum proceedings through the Center for Applied Legal Studies.
- The Kingdom of Sweden in an investment treaty arbitration concerning the telecommunications sector (ICSID).
- The Republic of Panama in two investment treaty arbitrations concerning the expansion of the Panama Canal (ICSID and UNCITRAL Rules).
- The Republic of Panama in an investment treaty arbitration concerning power transmission lines (ICSID).
- The Republic of Bulgaria in an investment treaty arbitration concerning the electricity sector (ICSID).
- The Republic of Bulgaria in an investment treaty arbitration concerning the banking sector (ICSID).
- The Republic of Chile in the long-standing Pey Casado arbitration (ICSID and UNCITRAL Rules).
- Microcontroller manufacturer in an international arbitration against an automotive part manufacturer (ICC Rules).
- European airframe manufacturer in an international arbitration concerning product safety (ICDR Rules).
- The Federated States of Micronesia on its relationship with the United States and other matters.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2017, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- B.A., International Studies, Boston College, 2014, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia