Alison McKinnell King has represented various low-income individuals and tax-exempt organizations on a pro bono basis since joining the firm in 1996.
She has played a prominent role in the firm as it has built strong relationships with local and national legal services organizations, has developed experience in several areas of pro bono practice, such as representing transgendered clients on their name changes and working with refugees and victims of human rights abuses, and the firm continues to increase the number of tax-exempt organizations and micro-entrepreneurs that it counsels on contract, corporate, employment, intellectual property and real estate issues. The majority of the firm's pro bono practice is in the representation of individual low-income clients. The firm's commitment to pro bono was recognized when it was presented with the 2009 New York State Bar Association President's Pro Bono Award in the Large Law Firm category.
Ms. King has won several awards for her pro bono work, including the Brooklyn Family Defense Practice 2015 Award, ABA Section of Business Law's 2008 National Public Service Award, the 2008 Cornerstone Award from Lawyers Alliance for New York, the Sanctuary for Families 2007 Pro Bono Achievement Award, and the MFY Legal Services, Inc. 2005 Scales of Justice Award. She has been named Empire State Counsel by the New York State Bar Association every year since the program began.
As an associate at the firm, Ms. King for six years co-authored "Large-Firm Life," a regular column in The New York Law Journal, where she wrote on a variety of topics related to associate life in a big New York law firm. For two years, she was one of seven columnists writing for The National Law Journal's associates column.
- JD, Tulane University Law School
- MA, Claremont Graduate University
- BA, Wheaton College
- New York
- Member, Pro Bono Committee, American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Member, Pro Bono Coordinators' Network, New York State Bar Association
- Chair, Pro Bono and Legal Services Committee, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, Association of Pro Bono Counsel
- Board Member, New York Lawyers for the Public Interest
- Board Member, Volunteers of Legal Service
- Board Member, Start Small Think Big