Alison McKinnell King has represented various low-income individuals and tax-exempt organizations on a pro bono basis since joining the firm in 1996.
She has played a prominent role in the firm as it has built strong relationships with local and national legal services organizations, has developed experience in several areas of pro bono practice, such as representing transgendered clients on their name changes, working with refugees and victims of human rights abuses, and representing tax-exempt organizations and micro-entrepreneurs counseling them on contract and corporate matters. In addition to representing clients directly, Ms. King helps Arnold & Porter attorneys firmwide develop the skills they need to serve pro bono clients effectively. She also works with the firm’s pro bono team to strategize about the firm’s pro bono practice.
Ms. King has won several awards for her pro bono work, including the Brooklyn Family Defense Practice 2015 Award, ABA Section of Business Law's 2008 National Public Service Award, the 2008 Cornerstone Award from Lawyers Alliance for New York, the Sanctuary for Families 2007 Pro Bono Achievement Award, and the MFY Legal Services, Inc. 2005 Scales of Justice Award. She has been named Empire State Counsel by the New York State Bar Association every year since the program began.
Ms. King for six years co-authored "Large-Firm Life," a regular column in The New York Law Journal, where she wrote on a variety of topics related to life in a big New York law firm. For two years, she was one of seven columnists writing for The National Law Journal's associates column.
- JD, Tulane University Law School
- MA, Claremont Graduate University
- BA, Wheaton College
- New York
- Member, New York State Bar Association's President's Committee on Access to Justice
- Member, Pro Bono Coordinators' Network, New York State Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Task Force on the Right to Counsel, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Board Member, Volunteers of Legal Service
- Board Member, Start Small Think Big
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Co-Chair, NY Women’s Bar Association’s Pro Bono and Public Service Committee