Sean Laane tries cases and litigates appeals for a variety of clients, including consumer product manufacturers, pharmaceutical and medical device companies, insurers, financial services companies, and nonprofit organizations. He focuses on the defense of complex, multi-state litigation, including products liability and mass tort actions, consumer class actions, antitrust cases, and high-stakes commercial matters. Mr. Laane appears in federal and state courts nationwide.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Laane served as a law clerk for the Honorable Cornelia G. Kennedy, US Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit.
- Consumer products company in defense of numerous federal and state court cases alleging personal injuries and wrongful death claims in the Engle progeny litigation.
- Wyeth as lead counsel in jury trials alleging personal injuries from the use of prescription drugs, and related appellate proceedings. In re Diet Drugs Prod. Liab. Litig.; Dean v. Wyeth; Townley v. Wyeth; Johnson v. Wyeth; Istnick v. Wyeth; Crowder v. Wyeth.
- Motorola in defending securities fraud claims and related derivative actions in federal and state court. Silverman v. Motorola, Inc.; In re Motorola Inc. Derivative Litigation; Goldfein v. Brown; and Motorola, Inc.
- Visa in complex multiparty antitrust litigation.
- Indigent criminal defendant in multi-week jury trial of conspiracy and related charges.
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1988, magna cum laude
- MA, University of Illinois, 1985, cum laude
- BA, University of Illinois, 1983, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, Tenth, Eleventh and District of Columbia Circuits
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit, The Honorable Cornelia G. Kennedy