Rob Laurenzi's practice focuses on patent litigation involving computer, internet and telecommunications technologies. In addition to litigation and courtroom experience, Mr. Laurenzi worked in-house at Verizon negotiating and drafting software licenses, as well as technology and media-related agreements. He is a registered patent lawyer licensed to practice before the US Patent and Trademark office. He has been lead counsel on at least 20 IPRs and CBMs. His patent prosecution background includes management of large patent portfolios and prosecution of many patent applications to issuance in a variety of technologies. He has substantial experience counseling clients on due diligence and merger and acquisition matters involving intellectual property. Mr. Laurenzi holds a BS in Electrical Engineering, which included early research in neural network and artificial intelligence applications to signal processing problems, and also worked as a telecommunications engineer prior to practicing law.
- DISH Network in defense of multiple infringement actions in the Northern District of California involving secure social media log-in systems. Lead counsel in a related IPR.
- Verizon Communications in an infringement action in the Southern District of New York involving payment card technology.
- Google and Motorola Mobility in a patent infringement case in the Eastern District of Texas in which the patent holder alleged infringement of various hardware and software patents purporting to cover Digital Rights Management. Lead counsel in a related CBMs before the P.T.A.B.
- Google and YouTube in the District of Delaware in a case where the patent holder accuses targeted advertisement technology.
- Google in the Northern District of California where the patent holder accuses mobile advertising placement technology.
- Cypress Semiconductor in the Northern District of California in patent actions brought against LG and BlackBerry concerning USB and touchscreen technology. Lead counsel in 12 related IPRs before the P.T.A.B.
- Alfred Mann Foundation in Markman hearing and secured a favorable claim construction that led to a $110 million jury verdict in the Central District of California in a case involving cochlear implants.
- CA, Inc. (formerly Computer Associates), a major software company, in a trade secret and copyright infringement case where the client received a cash settlement of $50 million on the eve of a jury trial.
- New York Stock Exchange (NYSE Euronet) in a patent infringement suit in the Southern District of New York involving a business method patent in which the plaintiff sought hundreds of millions of dollars in damages. The case was dismissed based on the patent being invalid.
- Lutron Electronics against competitor Crestron Corporation in a patent suit involving wireless lighting control in the District of Utah. Crestron agreed to pay royalties on past and future sales of its products that use the Lutron patents that were at issue.
- American Securities LLC in its acquisition of SeaStar Solutions, a manufacturer of precision-engineered vessel control systems and other specialized applications in marine and industrial end markets.
- Rolls Royce PLC against competitor United Technologies Corp. (Pratt & Whitney) in patent litigation involving the design of fan blades for turbojet engines used on the Airbus A380 in the Eastern District of Virginia, and related ITC action In the Matter of: Certain Turbomachinery Blades, Engines, and Components Thereof, Investigation No. 337-TA-751.
- NEC Corp. in the Northern District of Texas in patent litigation concerning semiconductor devices for cellular communications.
- Scidel, Inc. in the District of Delaware in patent litigation involving video image processing methods and video ad insertion techniques into live streaming video.
- Daiichi Sankyo Inc. in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania in suit concerning the US Food and Drug Administration's approval of abuse-deterrent opioid RoxyBond.
- JD, Temple University School of Law
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Temple University
- New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Patent and Trademark Office