Wolfgang Leip is a litigator and corporate counselor with more than 30 years of experience in intellectual property, namely in patent litigation, and regularly represents international and national clients across a wide variety of key business issues. His litigation experience includes: patent infringement litigation at district courts, in particular Düsseldorf, Mannheim and Frankfurt, at appellate levels before all German appeals courts; invalidation litigation at Federal Patent Court and Federal Supreme Court levels; ex-parte interlocutory; and cross-border injunctions.
Mr. Leip represents clients in several technical disciplines and industries with an emphasis on pharmaceuticals, medical devices, automotive and manufacturing. Mr. Leip also has broad corporate experience representing and counseling clients in critical matters such as trademark, design, trade secrets and antitrust and unfair competition litigation, as well as counseling in matters of licensing, outsourcing, franchise agreements and exclusive distribution.
- Fresenius AG in patent invalidation proceedings before the German Federal Supreme Court against a Japanese competitor. Successful invalidation of opponent's patent.
- Abbott Laboratories, USA, in the coordination of cross-border patent infringement proceedings and obtaining border seizures in drug- and trade mark related product piracy.
- Terex Corporation, USA, in various patent infringement proceedings regarding road construction machines before the District Courts of Düsseldorf and Mannheim, the Appellate Courts of Düsseldorf and Karlsruhe and in invalidation proceedings before the German Federal Patent Court and the Federal Supreme Court.
- Fanuc Robotics, a Japanese market-leader in the production of paint robots for the automotive industry, in patent infringement proceedings before the District Court of Mannheim.
- Royal DSM's US branch DSM Desotech in a patent litigation regarding a process for the production of photo curable resins. Infringement proceedings before the District Court and Appellate Court of Frankfurt am Main and revocation proceedings before the Federal Patent Court and the German Federal Supreme Court.
- Spectrum Brands-Tetra in defending against the application of an interlocutory injunction by a French competitor based on alleged patent infringement relating to a water filter in injunction proceedings before the District Court of Düsseldorf and coordination of the parallel patent infringement proceedings in France before the Tribunal de Grande Instance, Paris.
- TriStrata Technologies, Inc. against a French cosmetics group for patent infringement regarding the composition of a cosmetic substance before the District Court of Frankfurt am Main, including revocation proceedings before the Federal Patent Court.
- Peguform, a German automotive supplier, in a patent infringement litigation regarding the technical design of bumpers at the District Court Frankfurt am Main.
- Compuware in the coordination and performance of discovery procedures in US patent and copyright infringement proceedings v. IBM; depositions taken at various companies in Germany, England, Belgium, France and Italy.
- Rowa Automatisierungssysteme GmbH, a leading European manufacturer of automated commissioning shelves for pharmacies, in patent infringement arbitration proceedings.
- LLM, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 1985
- Second State Exam, High Court of Berlin, 1982
- First State Exam, Free University of Berlin, 1979
- Degree in Advertising and Communication, University of Arts, Berlin, 1976
- University of Heidelberg, School of Law, 1973
- German Attorney, authorized to represent before all German Courts (except for the Federal Court of Justice in civil matters) and before the courts of the European Union.
- Chair, Patent Practice Group, TerraLex, (- 2008)
- Co-Chair, IP Practice Group, TerraLex, (- 2008)
- Editor of the bi-annual TerraLex IP newsletter, TerraLex, (- 2008)
- Secretary, Committee on Antitrust Law, German Association for Intellectual Property and Copyright Law (GRUR)
- Secretary, Board of the Frankfurt Section, German Association for Intellectual Property and Copyright Law (GRUR)
- Member, VPP German Association of Patent Practitioners
- Member, LES Licensing Executives Society International (LESI)
- Member, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, German Lawyers' Association (DAV)
- Member, German-American Lawyers' Association (DAJV)
- Member, Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Industrielle (AIPPI)
- Member, Association for the Study of Antitrust Law
- Member, German-Brazilian Chamber of Commerce, Rio de Janeiro
- Member, German-Brazilian Lawyers' Association (DBJV)