Mr. Levitas has more than 20 years of experience as an antitrust lawyer addressing and resolving complex merger and conduct issues, particularly those affecting the healthcare, pharmaceutical, and technology sectors.
Mr. Levitas has served in a wide range of US government positions; most recently, he served for more than four years in the role of Deputy Director in the Bureau of Competition at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) (2009-2013), where he was responsible for the Mergers 1, Health Care and Anticompetitive Practices divisions, as well as the FTC's Northeast Regional Office in New York.
Other experience includes nearly a decade as an antitrust counsel on Capitol Hill, including seven years as the Staff Director and Chief Counsel to the US Senate Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, and more than five years as a trial lawyer in the US Department of Justice Antitrust Division, where he was a member of the trial teams in the prosecution of several criminal price-fixing cases.
In private practice, Mr. Levitas provides counseling on the antitrust implications of day-to-day business practices and has represented FORTUNE 500 and other companies in transactions and in complex federal and state civil investigations focusing on antitrust and competition issues.
- AT&T in connection with its US$49 billion acquisition of DirecTV.
- TriVascular Technologies, a medical device company, in its acquisition by Endologix.
- AMC Entertainment Inc. in connection with DOJ’s investigation of potential anticompetitive conduct by movie exhibitors.
- Warby Parker, leading Internet eyewear provider, in FTC Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking regarding the Eyeglass Rule.
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals in its US$2 billion acquisition of the Roxane generic drug business and US$300 million acquisition of generic injectable assets of Bedford Laboratories from a subsidiary of Boehringer Ingelheim.
- Investment fund in evaluation of antitrust risk of various proposed transactions.
- Major food services company as a third party in FTC investigation of proposed transaction.
- Major patent holder as participant in FTC industry study of Patent Assertion Entities.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1991, cum laude
- BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1988, summa cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Deputy Director, Bureau of Competition, Federal Trade Commission
- Staff Director/Chief Counsel, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy & Consumer Rights, US Senate Judiciary Committee
- Trial Attorney, Antitrust Division, US Department of Justice
- Special Assistant United States Attorney, US Attorney's Office, District of Columbia