Stuart Lipton focuses his practice on tax strategies and planning. He represents a number of clients, ranging from closely held businesses to public companies. He provides comprehensive tax counseling regarding a wide range of corporate, partnership, financial and work-out transactions, including the development and implementation of creative tax-advantaged strategies for structuring M&A transactions, reorganizations, and joint ventures. His tax practice includes sophisticated tax planning for start-up ventures, mature companies, LLCs, partnerships, and "Subchapter S" corporations, as well as family businesses. He also handles tax audit and controversy work involving the Internal Revenue Service and the Franchise Tax Board.
Representative clients include The Oakland Raiders; The Charles Schwab Corporation; Far Niente Wine Estates, LLC; The Grupe Company; Blackwater Investments, LP; Duff, Ackerman & Goodrich, LLC; Douglas Telecommunications, Inc.; and the Estate of Cyril I. Magnin.
Mr. Lipton taught as an adjunct professor in the graduate tax program at New York University, where he developed the course entitled "The Taxation of Financial Instruments."
Following receipt of his LLM, Mr. Lipton served as an acting assistant professor at the New York University School of Law. In 2014 and 2015, he lectured on corporate income tax at Stanford Law School.
Mr. Lipton has lectured at seminars across the country for many years, including programs offered at the New York University Tax Workshop, the World Trade Institute, the New York University Institute on Federal Taxation, and the USC Tax Institute. He is also an AV-rated attorney, a peer-awarded honor given by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Oakland Raiders in the successful resolution of a long-standing, multi-year TEFRA tax audit.
- Oakland Raiders with tax, structuring, and partnership advice involving partnership, finance, and ownership matters, and planning for the construction of a new state-of-the-art football stadium.
- Far Niente Winery with tax and structuring advice regarding the formation and funding of Far Niente Wine Estates LLC.
- Owner of an apartment complex with tax and structuring advice regarding a tax-free transfer of leveraged real estate assets via an UPREIT transaction.
Tax Law (2007-2018)
"San Francisco Lawyer of the Year" – Litigation and Controversy: Tax (2018)
- LLM, Taxation, New York University School of Law, 1984
- JD, University of North Carolina School of Law, 1979, Order of the Coif
- AB, Economics, Vassar College, 1975, with honors
- New York
- North Carolina
State Bar of California