Mr. Liss has extensive experience representing clients in criminal and civil antitrust investigations, private antitrust litigation and mergers. In addition, Mr. Liss regularly provides clients with counseling to proactively address competition issues.
Representative clients include: TPG Capital, L.P.; Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd.; Hoffmann-La Roche Inc.; Talecris Biotherapeutics; Zimmer Holdings; General Electric Company; Occidental Chemical Company; and Zeon Corporation.
- BP in its $155 million acquisition of the upstream portion of Clean Energy's renewable natural gas business and establishment of a long-term supply contract with Clean Energy to support the firm’s continuing downstream renewable natural gas business.
- TPG Capital, L.P. in civil antitrust litigation involving LBO bidding practices of the leading private equity firms.
- Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd. in connection with DOJ criminal investigation regarding automotive lighting systems, and in related civil damages litigation.
- Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. and Roche Vitamins Inc. in the record-setting vitamins criminal antitrust investigation, and in litigation and settlement of related private damage actions. Principally responsible for developing Roche's economic analysis and defenses in the multibillion dollar civil vitamins litigation; was heavily involved in the international jurisdiction and discovery issues presented in the vitamins matter, including the Empagran Supreme Court case, which substantially restricted the ability of foreign purchasers to seek recovery under the US antitrust laws.
- Talecris Biotherapeutics (a manufacturer of plasma-derived therapies) in FTC investigations regarding proposed acquisitions of Talecris by CSL and Grifols, respectively.
- Zimmer Holdings in DOJ criminal price-fixing investigation involving orthopedic implant devices, and in related class action litigation.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. and Hoffmann-La Roche Inc. in DOJ criminal price-fixing investigation involving citric acid, and in litigation and settlement of related private damage actions.
- Pharmaceutical client in FTC civil collusion investigation regarding supply and pricing issues.
- Numerous clients in counseling regarding pricing and distribution issues, potential mergers, and joint ventures.
- JD, Emory University School of Law, 1993
- BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1987
- District of Columbia