Tim Macdonald heads the firm's Denver office and is an experienced litigator whose practice focuses on complex civil trials and appeals. Mr. Macdonald has far-ranging appellate experience, pursuing and defending appeals in the Colorado Supreme Court, the Colorado Court of Appeals, the Federal Circuit, First Circuit, Second Circuit, Eighth Circuit, Ninth Circuit, Tenth Circuit, DC Circuit, and other state supreme courts. He has tried cases across the country in various state and federal courts and before arbitration panels. His extensive trial practice led him to be inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers in 2020.
Best Lawyers in America selected him as "Denver Lawyer of the Year" in 2020 for Appellate Practice. He received the same award in 2015. Describing him as "a truly top-shelf litigator who can go up against the very best," Mr. Macdonald has been recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business Litigation in Colorado each year since 2007. Another Chambers' reviewer described him as "very passionate in trying cases" and putting his "great intelligence" to use on behalf of his clients. He has been recognized as a Top 50/Top 100 Colorado Super Lawyers. Law Week Colorado chose him as one of the "Lawyers of the Year" in 2014. Mr. Macdonald maintains an active pro bono practice and a deep dedication to community service. He is a Commissioner on the Colorado Access to Justice Commission. He serves on the Board of the Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado, the Colorado Lawyers Committee, and Invest in Kids. Mr. Macdonald co-founded two legal night clinics that have served more than 20,000 families since their founding.
In addition to heading the Denver office, Mr. Macdonald has served on the Policy Committee of the firm, the Ethics Committee, the Pro Bono Committee, and the Denver Hiring Committee, among others.
Mr. Macdonald graduated magna cum laude and Order of the Coif from the University of Michigan Law School, where he served on the Editorial Board of the Law Review. He also earned a Master's degree in Public Policy from the University of Michigan School of Public Policy. He earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Miami in Oxford, Ohio, magna cum laude, with a degree in political science and a minor in mathematics and statistics.
- Represented healthcare company in regulatory dispute with state government.
- Represented county government in challenge to regulatory authority.
- Represented city in defending municipal ordinance.
- Represented Indian Tribe in dispute regarding rental payments under federal statute.
- Represented healthcare company in payment disputes with insurance company.
- Represented midstream company in contract dispute with bankrupt gas producer.
- Represented energy company in contract dispute with co-owner regarding off-shore production.
- Represented insurance company in coverage dispute with bank for receipt of fraudulent transfers and preference payments.
- Represented healthcare company in dispute with supplier over refusal to supply.
- Represented construction company in dispute over indemnity with insurance company.
- Represented energy company in contract dispute over tariff refunds.
- Represented midstream company in contract dispute over allocation of expenses.
- Represented insurance carrier in fidelity bond case alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraudulent conveyance.
- Represented decommissioning nuclear power plant in litigation against federal government for breach of contract regarding nuclear waste disposal.
- Represented insurance company in D&O litigation alleging breach of fiduciary duty, bad faith, and statutory claims.
- Represented winery in potential constitutional challenge to regulations.
- Represented insurance carrier in attorney malpractice coverage dispute.
- Represented Indian Tribe in litigation regarding religious rights and land access.
- Represented energy company in trade secret litigation.
- Represented Indian Tribe in litigation regarding land rental and royalty dispute.
- Represented Indian tribe in permit dispute with federal agency.
- Represented landowners regarding energy and transmission line disputes.
- Represented manufacturing company in CERCLA contamination dispute.
- Represented Indian tribe in dispute regarding coal royalties.
"New Stars, New Worlds" (2006)
Bet-the-Company Litigation (2013–2023)
Commercial Litigation (2013–2023)
"Lawyer of the Year"—Appellate Practice (Denver) (2015, 2020, 2023)
"West Trailblazers" (2022)
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1996, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- MPP, University of Michigan, 1996
- BA, Miami University, 1992, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, honors program
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US District Court, District of Colorado
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, The Honorable Emilio M. Garza
- Commissioner, Colorado Access to Justice Commission
- Board Member, Legal Aid Foundation of Colorado
- Board Member and Executive Committee, Colorado Lawyers Committee
- Board Member, Invest in Kids
Co-Chair, Project Homeless Connect Task Force, Colorado Lawyers Committee
- Co-founder and organizer of legal night clinics at Mi Casa Resource Center for Women and Centro San Juan Diego, serving approximately 2,000 individuals and families per year
- Former Board Member, Bold Leaders
- Former Board Member, Colorado Coalition for the Homeless
- Former Board Member, Project Exposure
- Former Board Member, Civil Rights Now
- Former Board Member, Sinapu