Tim Macdonald heads the firm's Denver office and is an experienced trial lawyer whose practice focuses on complex civil litigation and appeals. Mr. Macdonald has tried cases across the country in federal court, bankruptcy court, state court, and before arbitration panels. Mr. Macdonald has extensive experience in a wide variety of business disputes, contract claims, insurance litigation, environmental matters, securities litigation, tort claims, and Indian law. Mr. Macdonald has far-ranging appellate experience, pursuing and defending appeals in the Federal Circuit, First Circuit, Second Circuit, Eighth Circuit, Ninth Circuit, Tenth Circuit, DC Circuit, and various state supreme courts.
Mr. Macdonald has been recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business Litigation in Colorado each year since 2007. Mr. Macdonald has been recognized as a Top 50/Top 100 Colorado Super Lawyer. Best Lawyers in America selected him as "Denver Lawyer of the Year" in 2015 for Appellate Practice. Law Week Colorado chose him as one of the "Lawyers of the Year" in 2014. Mr. Macdonald is the Board Chair for the Colorado Lawyers Committee and active in many community organizations. Mr. Macdonald co-founded two legal night clinics that have served more than 12,000 families since their founding.
- Insurance company in adversary proceedings in Bankruptcy Court.
- Company in restructuring and potential bankruptcy filing.
- Creditor and potential indemnitor in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Airline in contract rejection litigation and strike injunction proceedings.
- Telecommunications company in fraud and breach of contract claims against WorldCom.
- Former CEO in breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent conveyance, and preference claims in bankruptcy.
- Law firm in fraudulent conveyance and preference claims in bankruptcy.
Appellate Practice (2013-2021)
Bet-the-Company Litigation (2013-2021)
Commercial Litigation (2013-2021)
"Top 50 Lawyers in Colorado" (2011)
Business Litigation (2009-2011)
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1996, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- MPP, University of Michigan, 1996
- BA, Miami University, 1992, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, honors program
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Federal Claims
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US District Court, District of Colorado
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, The Honorable Emilio M. Garza
Co-Chair, Project Homeless Connect Task Force, Colorado Lawyers Committee
Chair, Legal Night Task Force, Lawyers Committee
Frequent lecturer on ethics and pro bono programs
Board Chair of Executive Committee, Colorado Lawyers Committee
- Member, Board of Directors, Bold Leaders (2012-present)
- Co-founder and organizer of legal night clinics at Mi Casa Resource Center for Women and Centro San Juan Diego, serving approximately 2,000 individuals and families per year
- Member, Board of Directors, Project Exposure (2008-2013)
- Member, Board of Directors, Colorado Coalition for the Homeless (2000-2005)
- Member, Board of Directors, Civil Rights Now (2003-2006)
- Member, Board of Directors, Sinapu (2003-2007)