Mike Malecek is a retired partner of the firm. He represented some of the leading biotech and technology companies in the US, including Google, Sequenom, Affymetrix, Complete Genomics, and salesforce.com. His practice largely focused on patent litigation, but he has experience in all areas of litigation, including general commercial, white collar, compliance, securities, and employment. He served as trial counsel in more than a dozen jury trials, all of which resulted in victories for his clients.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Malecek was the chief advocacy counsel for Affymetrix, Inc., a biotechnology company in Silicon Valley. As lead trial counsel, he obtained a jury verdict of infringement of five different Affymetrix patents and a 15 percent royalty rate in the District of Delaware, which led to a $90 million settlement. Before Affymetrix, he was an assistant US attorney for the Eastern and Northern Districts of California, where he investigated and prosecuted technology-related and intellectual property crimes, such as extensive counterfeit software rings, and other white collar matters.
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 1993, Dillard Fellow
- BA, American Studies, Yale University, 1988, cum laude, with distinction
- Supreme Court of the United States
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- US District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Central, and Southern Districts of California
- Assistant US attorney for the Eastern and Northern Districts of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, The Honorable Robert G. Doumar
- Co-Instructor, Computer Crimes Seminar (2003–2004), Trial Advocacy (2003), Boalt Hall School of Law
- Article Development Editor (1992–1993), Virginia Environmental Law Journal