Anna Manville's practice focuses on intellectual property matters with an emphasis on trademarks. Ms. Manville provides strategic and practical advice to assist clients in a variety of business sectors in obtaining and protecting intellectual property assets. Her experience encompasses all aspects of trademark law, including portfolio strategy, management and enforcement, clearance opinions, prosecution, licensing, transactions, due diligence, domain name disputes, opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), customs registration, and social media issues. She has assisted clients with the protection and enforcement of color marks, trade dress, product configurations, packaging, geographical indications, and other non-traditional marks. Ms. Manville also advises clients on copyright, unfair competition, and advertising clearance issues.
Early in her career, Ms. Manville was an Examining Attorney with the US Patent & Trademark Office where she examined applications in the computer and electronics fields. Before joining the firm, Ms. Manville was a partner at an intellectual property boutique firm in the Midwest.
Ms. Manville assists pro bono clients, including the largest nonprofit literacy organization in the US as well as cancer research, children's hospice care, historic preservation, women's rights, and arts organizations with their trademark, copyright, domain name, social media, and licensing issues.
Ms. Manville is an active member of many professional associations and has held leadership positions with the International Trademark Association (INTA). She has spoken at professional conferences and client seminars on trademark topics.
- International corporation with a family of companies in the investigations, cyber security, compliance, risk consulting, data recovery, and background screening fields in managing trademark portfolios worldwide and registering and enforcing copyrights.
- Third-largest wine producer in foreign trademark portfolio management and enforcement.
- Major private equity firm in intellectual property due diligence for new acquisitions.
- Start-ups in developing cost-effective brand selection, protection, and policing strategies.
- Global organization dedicated to child safety issues in logo re-branding and international licensing and trademark portfolio management.
- Public hotel REIT in connection with IP issues and licensing agreements.
- Leading electronics manufacturer in re-branding medical device business.
- Luxury international fashion house as US trademark counsel.
- European perfumer in obtaining US trademark protection for product packaging.
- Online game developer in enforcement efforts against online infringement through social media and digital marketplace.
- JD, Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 1988
- BA, Carleton College, 1982
- District of Columbia
- Examining Attorney, US Patent & Trademark Office
- Chair, International Trademark Association (INTA) Trademark Office Practices Committee (TOPC)
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Member, American Bar Association (ABA), Intellectual Property Law Section
- Former Chair, INTA USPTO Subcommittee
- Former Vice-Chair, INTA TOPC