Robert Mason has more than 30 years of experience in litigating antitrust, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and other complex commercial disputes. He litigates actions in federal and state trial and appellate courts in New York and throughout the United States.
Mr. Mason defends class actions and opt-out actions, and actions brought by consumers, businesses, direct and indirect purchasers, and competitors. He defends state attorney general investigations and parens patriae and other actions. He has successfully resolved many disputes through court dismissals and innovative mediation and settlement strategies.
Mr. Mason has defended financial services and other clients against antitrust claims of price-fixing, tying, market allocations, other restraints of trade, attempted monopolization, and monopolization. He also has litigated claims asserted under unfair or deceptive trade practices statutes, electronic funds transfer statutes, the Commodity Exchange Act, and RICO, as well as common law claims for fraud, negligence, unjust enrichment, and civil conspiracy.
- Payment card company's defense and settlement of antitrust claims asserted by retailers nationwide in class actions and numerous individual actions. In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Discount Antitrust Litigation, MDL 1720 (E.D.N.Y.).
- Japanese bank's defense of class actions asserting antitrust, securities, and common law claims based on the setting of Yen LIBOR and Euroyen TIBOR. Laydon v. Mizuho Bank, Ltd., et al. (S.D.N.Y.); Sonterra Capital Master Fund, Ltd., et al. v. UBS AG, et al. (S.D.N.Y.).
- Payment card company's defense of consumer class action asserting unfair and deceptive practices in connection with passing of cardholder data.
- Insurance brokerage company's defense and settlement of consolidated class actions arising out of state attorney general investigations into contingent commission practices.
- Payment card company's defense of more than forty indirect purchaser consumer class actions filed in nineteen states and a related state attorney general action.
Antitrust: Mergers, Acquisitions, and Buyouts (2011-2014)
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1987, cum laude
- BA, Yale University, 1982, cum laude
- New York
Former Co-Chair, Litigation Subcommittee of the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Committee, New York City Bar
Served on the Board of Directors, New York Lawyers for the Public Interest
Served on the Board of Directors, Advisory Board of Watershed Center for the Ceramic Arts